VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

New here with a 66 Falcon van and a question

Speedfiend
    Speedfiend

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2014-11-04

New here with a 66 Falcon van and a question Empty New here with a 66 Falcon van and a question

Post by Speedfiend Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Howdy all!

New to the forum. A quick bit about me- Name's Daniel Huggins. From Hendersonville NC. 35 yrs old. Into British bikes and 60's Fords. Pretty handy with a wrench and can cut,weld and do some light machining.

I just bought a really clean, mostly original '66 Falcon van. Runs and drives well. It  has new drums/shoes and cylinders. Still, I'd like a little more stopping power.

So here's the question; what are my options for brake upgrades? I'd like to keep it simple. On my 62 Galaxie 500 I used a GM MC/power booster. It was a pretty straightforward mod and dramatically improved the brakes.  Total cost of less than $200.But it doesn't seem like I can squeeze a booster in the van. Is there a common (and affordable) solution?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

New here with a 66 Falcon van and a question Empty Re: New here with a 66 Falcon van and a question

Post by dan nachel Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Disc brakes will help with stopping distance and straight line stopping ,but with out power, it will still take some force. Some have put power boosters in thier vans. Search through the posts for info.
    Speedfiend
    Speedfiend

New here with a 66 Falcon van and a question Empty Re: New here with a 66 Falcon van and a question

Post by Speedfiend Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Adding a power booster to my drum brakes is exactly what I'd like to do. I tried the 'advanced search' feature, but found mostly discussion about disc brake conversions. I'll keep looking.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Welcome to VV Daniel. When you're able, be sure to post us a pic so we can see what you're working on, we love our pics in here...lol.. As most of us have found out, the only year for a dual master was the 67. So even if you don't go with booster right away, I would change to a dual anyway.And also get the pedal assembly for the 67 as well, as you will need the whole thing. I'm sure that's already on your upgrade list. Disc brakes are definitely better then the drums from what I have read. Another great upgrade as well. So like Dan stated, do some searching in here and find the posts regarding ford disc brake conversion.
    Speedfiend
    Speedfiend

Post by Speedfiend Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:26 am

http://rs305.pbsrc.com/albums/nn211/lamoreuxh/Mobile%20Uploads/1535685_556446994455531_7205357441999146281_n_zps579faa7a.jpg~320x480

Hmm, well.... Still trying to sort out photo bucket, a new phone and the forum. I think that ^^^ link works.
    Speedfiend
    Speedfiend

Post by Speedfiend Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:40 am

Speedfiend
    Speedfiend

Post by Speedfiend Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:42 am

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:16 am

They all work...you can host pics directly on the forum too, click the little host it button or since you already have them at a url elsewhere, just use the insert button and paste the url in and they will appear in you posts.  Nice van, that's the extended body version with the short wheel base, GM and Dodge made the wheel base longer with the longer body versions....looks clean!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:09 pm