VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Alternator / Belt - Noise

EcoPU
    EcoPU

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Alternator / Belt - Noise Empty Alternator / Belt - Noise

Post by EcoPU Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:19 am

Symptom
    ======
    Around 950/1000 - 1900 rpm a High Squeel scream can be heard. Can accelerate/decelerate to make the problem stop.
    After 30 - 40 minutes of driving/charging symptom is gone.

I have replaced the belt with a gator back and tightened the belt many times. The alternator is in the bracket as far as it can go outwards. I may try to order a slightly shorter belt. Engine is 1968 289 no A/C or PS.

Thinking I may need to purchase another alternator while I return this one to powermaster.

History
    =====
    My van stopped running one day after being driven daily. It turned over but didn't fire. I tested the battery it was good and the carb was shooting gas. I tested the plugs and they weren't getting spark.

I replaced the starter solenoid, spark plugs, and installed a pmgr mini-starter. I also installed new #2 guage wiring from battery, starter, and engine ground.

The van started again. But now main symptom above appeared.

Starter solenoid part#
    Standard Motor Products SS581

Spark plug#
    Motorcraft BSF3 - no resistor

Powermaster 140 AMP Alternator#
    8-57140
    (Now seeing I should have bought a 3g 1-wire alternator for higher quality.)

I'm going to try to make a video for further diagnosis.

Thanks
    Drew
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Alternator / Belt - Noise Empty Re: Alternator / Belt - Noise

Post by Seth G Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:34 pm

If the Alternator is all the way out to the end of the adjustment slot how can you be sure it's tight enough? When an alternator is putting out juice under a high amperage load it's resistance is huge. Really needs to be uber tight. I'd go to the autoparts store and get the next smaller belt and try that first. Now if you are loosing voltage out of the output of the alternator to ground it will see a serious load and smoke will likely occur very quickly, doesn't sound like the problem. Verify all wiring to and from the alternator and regulator.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:58 pm

From what u have indicated-140 amp alt.!!  Realize =that amp alt. will have more  resistance  when running to make that kind of amps!! Requires   actually 2 belts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im not kidding you 1 bit!!  Get the peoper double belt pulleys for both alt. & drive!! Then install 2 NEW belts- so that the adjustment will PROPERLY Tighten the belts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After alls done -there should be =NO Squeeling at all. cheers
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:56 am

I went from a 40.5 to a 40 inch gatorback and it seems to have resolved it. I'll have to drive it over the next few days to hear if it returns. With the shorter belt the alternator is no longer at the furthest point in the bracket.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:07 am

not sure why you would need a 140 amp alt ??? did you update the wiring to handle all of that, the existing wiring was built to handle 35 to maybe 50 amps.????

Post by EcoPU Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:36 am

dix wrote:not sure why you would need a 140 amp alt ??? did you update the wiring to handle all of that, the existing wiring was built to handle 35 to maybe 50 amps.????

Because I wanted to buy a new alternator. I wanted said new alternator to be easy to install, as I have no mechanical background. I then searched the internet for vintage mustangs running 289's and saw what they were using. I did upgrade wiring going from the battery/starter/engine ground. I did not change the wiring harness in the van.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/electronics-efi/biting-the-bullitts-powermaster-140-amp-alternator-upgrade/

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/383211-anybody-running-gm-1-wire-alternator.html

http://www.cjponyparts.com/powermaster-alternator-140-amp-one-wire-serpentine-pulley-smooth-look-1965-1993/p/ALT9/

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/ford.html

http://www.amazon.com/Powermaster-8-57140-Alternator/dp/B000GVK63E
    Bolt-On Early Model Upgrade. Gold Battery Post. Proof Of Performance Tag. 80 Amps At Idle. Includes 7 ft. Of 8 AWG Wire. Recommended Charge Wire Size 8 AWG.

Listed this part number for the classic mustangs.

I didn't know if in the future I would be adding more electronic parts. Lights, Stereos, speakers, electric fans.

Furthermore, I made a chose based off the engine in the vehicle. Whats to say the previous owner who installed the 1968 mustang under the 1964 vuck didn't change the wiring.

I guess I can tell you your right when it catches on fire, thanks for the advice.
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:49 am

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/faq-alternators.html

Will a higher amp alternator hurt my battery or charging system?

No. A good rule of thumb is that more amps are not harmful, but more voltage is. If you look at electrical power like water, amperage is equivalent to the volume of water, and voltage is equivalent to water pressure. More amperage is like having a larger pool of water to draw from.

Is there any modification I need to do to my wiring to install a high amp alternator?

Powermaster recommends increasing the size of the charge wire from the alternator to the battery. Recommendation regarding the proper wire gauge can be found here.

(Upgraded that wiring to larger than suggest #2 vs #Cool
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:09 am

EcoPU
    EcoPU