VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

steering box

ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

steering box Empty steering box

Post by ramian09 Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:42 pm

I have a 1966 ford econoline that I have converted to 4x4. I am trying to upgrade my steering box to a larger stronger one that parts are still made for. I have a 1960-1966 chevy pickup 2x4 steering box that I am thalf way through installing. The steering box will fit I just need help solving the puzzle, of making the steering components all bolt together. I would prefer not to have anything welded. The drag link that is currently on the van is off of a 1991 F-250 4x4 pick up. The steering arm, that attaches the drag link to the axel knuckle, is off of a 1985 chevy blazer with a 4-6 inch lift. So basically when I'm finished I will have a chevy steering box mounted and I need a pitman arm that goes from that to the drag link mentioned above. Or to any chevy adjustable drag link that will then go to the chevy blazer steering arm. I have been working on this problem for years and would love any help or advice. I just need help on the planning end. Thank You.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

steering box Empty Re: steering box

Post by dan nachel Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:17 pm

I went with a rack n pinion on mine. It was easy to fabricate and works great.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post by ramian09 Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:20 pm

Do you have any pics or info on where the parts came from?
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:33 pm

The rack came from a mustang, the V shaped gear box came off a rodeo, the rest I fabbed myself. There are pics on here somewhere. The main thing is the rack is mounted to the axle, with a telescoping shaft from the gear box to the rack so the axle can move. It was really pretty easy to do. ( the v shaped gear box goes on the bottom of the steering shaft,in place of the steering box, and the telescoping shaft from there back to the rack)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:46 am