VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

progress to date

dougtappan
    dougtappan

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2014-08-19

progress to date Empty progress to date

Post by dougtappan Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Well I've got the van on it's side with my home made rotiserie. Of course thats after I pulled all the drive line out and all the springs and axles. So I started reading a thread about springs since 3 out of the four springs are junk. all three front perch eyes were broken in half. so I figured no big deal I'll just buy new springs.NOT,So I searched "Leaf Springs" read 8 pages of the problems one guy had and now I'm rethinking this project.You can't buy new so I guess if I can't find some real good used ones I'm up the creek. Cause from what I read it's a nightmare to refit any other springs. Can someone give me some guidance on how they would handle my delema
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

progress to date Empty Re: progress to date

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:18 pm

You can buy new springs,,,,,,the thing is that the centers of the springs are 2 1/2 inch wide to fit in the U bolts,,,,,however your shackles are 3 inch wide to fit the 3 inch ends of your springs, so people buy the 2 1/2 inch wide springs and put fatter bushings in the shackles to make those springs fit correctly.......
    dougtappan
    dougtappan

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2014-08-19

progress to date Empty new springs

Post by dougtappan Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Awesome, After 8 pages I was totally confused about to do .So I guess that SDtruck spring or whatever they are is the way to go. Thanks Don. I guess you are the ultimate answer man.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:08 pm

There are probably closer places to get springs,,,,,and a couple of people here got those 2 1/2 wide springs and had to get the wider bushings for the ends of the springs and the shackles,,,,,,do you have a spring or off road shop out by you that makes springs?

progress to date Chevy_20

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 pm