VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Powerglide?

Powerglide? Empty Powerglide?

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:53 am

I found this powerglide on craigslist and im wondering if I should go for it. Its from a 69 handivan but im wondering if it would bolt right up to my 64. If not what would I need to do to make it fit? Is it even worth it? It would probably need to be rebuilt but im not sure if these transmissions are any good. I'm just tired of dealing with the 3 speed.

-Ryan

Powerglide? Empty Re: Powerglide?

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:54 am

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:37 pm

If you don't like your 3 speed , you will be happier with a PowerGlide,,,,it changes the whole feeling of a Van. But you need the accessories to make it an easier change over. The hanging mount is the major problem, so if you get a real van transmission, you don't have to make up a rear crossmember. The driveshafts probably have different splines,,,,you should have the real lock out type shift lever assembly to hold it in the right gear and the shift indicator. You need to wire up a safety neutral switch. You need the throttle valve linkage that goes to the carb. You need a transmission cooler,,,,,maybe the shift rod and cross shaft,,,,,you need a flex plate and torque converter. So it would be good to get the whole system off of another van.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:37 pm

Its not that I dont like the 3 speed, its just that i'm always messing with the linkage and what not and I wouldnt have to wory about that with an automatic. I'm ordering some new bushings for the linkage so that should fix the problem. An automatic would be nice but the swap seems like alot of work for me right now. As always, thanks for your help Donivan.

-Ryan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:40 am