VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
threequartersleeve
econopoor
largnchrg
7 posters

whats the differance between a Ford Falcon van and any other Ford

largnchrg
    largnchrg

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2014-08-23

whats the differance between a Ford Falcon van and any other Ford Empty whats the differance between a Ford Falcon van and any other Ford

Post by largnchrg Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:34 pm

I said I would try to ask intelligent questions when I signed up. I hope you all don't moan on this one.

What is the difference between a Ford "Falcon" van, and the other Ford vans?
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

whats the differance between a Ford Falcon van and any other Ford Empty Re: whats the differance between a Ford Falcon van and any other Ford

Post by econopoor Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:00 am

Ford used the Falcon name on their window vans to sell them as passenger vehicles. This allowed them to be licensed at the cheaper car rates than at truck rates. All Falcon vans are window vans.

Duane in Tennessee
    largnchrg
    largnchrg

whats the differance between a Ford Falcon van and any other Ford Empty Re: whats the differance between a Ford Falcon van and any other Ford

Post by largnchrg Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks Duane.
    threequartersleeve
    threequartersleeve

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2013-01-01

Post by threequartersleeve Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:50 am

Having a Falcon myself, I've always wondered why they named it that, when they also had the car of same same- were they trying to market it as roomier passenger companion to the car?
    Does this also mean there were no Econoline window vans?
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Post by AZ SuperVan Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:05 am

I think the Falcon was trim level. There were "Display" Econolines that had windows. Maybe you could say that all Falcon vans were window vans but not all window vans were Falcons?
    largnchrg
    largnchrg

Post by largnchrg Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:50 am

Interesting thoughts. I believe AZ SuperVan, may have nailed it. After looking at more pictures, it's wierd that they would use Falcon for more than one vehicle. Im thinking window econolines were more utility based and the Falcons were as stated all about trim and passenger. ???
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:29 pm

These types of questions help all of us learn more about these vehicles. Don't be shy about asking questions here. This site is very vanner friendly! !!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    threequartersleeve
    threequartersleeve

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2013-01-01

Post by threequartersleeve Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:19 pm

Based on wikipedia, the Falcon seemed to be more of a "line" of vehicles....

In 1962, Ford introduced the Ford Falcon Club Wagon and Deluxe Club Wagon, an 8-passenger, flat-front, van.
    In 1963, even more models were available. There was now a 4-door Futura and a Deluxe wagon. Later, convertibles and then hardtops, and the new "Sprint" model were introduced. Halfway through the model year (February 1963), the Fairlane's 164 hp "Challenger" 260 CID (4.3 L) V8 engine was offered for the first time. The Falcon was climbing in trim level from its budget beginnings, as Ford attempted to wring more profit from the line.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Falcons also had to have passenger seats as they were passenger vehicles. All Falcons are window vans but all window vans were not Falcons. Ford made plenty of Econoline window vans. It was all designed to sell more vans. Back in the 60's Trucks were considered trucks and were titled as such. That meant commercial tags. These were a lot higher than regular passenger tags. By adding seats and selling the vans as passenger vehicles they could get around the higher commercial fees. Ford put the Falcon name on it as it sounded more car like than Econoline. Easier to pass off as a passenger vehicle. This made two markets for basically the same vehicle. A utility vehicle and a passenger vehicle.

Duane in Tennessee
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:00 pm

In 1961-1963, the passenger vans were called Station Buses. They had a "standard" and a "custom" interior. In 1963 they started the Falcon line and soon had three quality levels of Falcons plus the Econoline window van.
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Barnabas wrote:In 1961-1963, the passenger vans were called Station Buses.  They had a "standard" and a "custom" interior.  In 1963 they started the Falcon line and soon had three quality levels of Falcons plus the Econoline window van.
    But I have a '62 Falcon van. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 am