VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

What tires for 14in rims??

rehreh07
    rehreh07

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2014-05-02

What tires for 14in rims?? Empty What tires for 14in rims??

Post by rehreh07 Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 pm

I have some 14 in slots and the tires are p225/70/r14. They rub on the front. The speedo is about 5 mph fast. What size should I buy that won't rub? What would be the correct size to buy? Also,, if I wanted to lower the van by going with smaller tires how small could I go without it looking stupid?? Any thoughts and suggestions would be great.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

What tires for 14in rims?? Empty Re: What tires for 14in rims??

Post by Seth G Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Those are kinda tall tires @ around 26 1/2" diameter. Where are they rubbing? You didn't mention the rim width or offset? I assume they are either 7" or 8" rims based on those tires. If they are 8's you're going to be pretty limited on going much, if any, narrower in section width, but can shorten the aspect for a smaller diameter tire like a 225/60 which would be 24.5" diameter tire. It's hard to say what you could run without that information. But I would think a 205/65 would be a safe bet on a 7", that's around a 25.5" tall 8" wide wheel. Could probably even go with a 215/60 which would be a little wider, ~8.5" and a little smaller around, ~25". Or a 205/60... It all depends on what you want it to look like, what the backspace is and what you measure. For me, if you go much below 25" wheel they start to look to small, but that's just me.

Tires and wheels are such a particular thing depending on what an individual wants it to look like. Do you like a tire that bulges out from the rim or stock looking, alot of side wall or just a little, wide tire or narrow? etc. Best thing you can do is some research and careful measuring with a square from the mounting face. Could always just take it to the tire shop. Good luck.
    rehreh07
    rehreh07

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2014-05-02

Post by rehreh07 Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:40 pm

They came with a parts truck with new tires on them and balanced. I can't tell if they r rubbing on the top or the sides. I like the width but would be ok if they where a little narrower. So u think a 205/60??
    Ddavllc
    Ddavllc

Number of posts : 127
    Registration date : 2013-11-07

Post by Ddavllc Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:45 pm

When I first got my truck there were 15's on it. They rubbed every time I hit a bump. It got so bad for me I clinched my but cheeks together every time I even saw railroad tracks while driving. The problem for me was one of shocks and front springs. The minute I change them i can take speed bumps and there is no way I can hit
    Kind of a long way around saying the problem might be with your suspension and not a tire and or rim selection.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:18 am