VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Need correct tire size for new rims

Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Need correct tire size for new rims Empty Need correct tire size for new rims

Post by Bruce67Econoline Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:19 pm

I lucked into a new set of Coker baby moons size 14x7 What would be the right size tires to put on it. I think the PO put in I'm guessing undersized tires and rims , because my speedometer seem to be off. It is reading slower than I am actually going. Next up is a complete suspension rebuild.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Need correct tire size for new rims Empty Re: Need correct tire size for new rims

Post by Seth G Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:53 pm

A 205/70 would be a safe bet I think. What is the offset and or backspace of the rims? You could probably go with 215/65 as well, that's similar to the wheel size bugman put on the front of his van, only .2" taller.
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Need correct tire size for new rims Empty Re: Need correct tire size for new rims

Post by Bruce67Econoline Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:30 am

Thanks Seth.They have a 4 off set. I was wondering what tire size would match the stock tire size. My speedo is reading the wrong speed, and was hoping to get it reading right by getting a tire that will match the stock tire. Or does that not effect the speedo?
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:22 am

Just some info for you guys. Last night, I measured the old spare that came with my '64. Its 24" tall, off the rim. I'm thinking that we should probably have an overall diameter of around 24" for our speedometers to work "accurately"..
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:09 am

If it's way off you'll need to change the little plastic gear at the end of the cable in the transmission. Mine is fairly accurate and I've got 25"+ wheels.
    FCC
    FCC

Post by FCC Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 am

This is a great on-line calculator, assuming a 24" stock tire size.  Once you get your 'effective' ratio hammered out, you can order a speedo drive gear that is closest to what you end up with...

Click here for the Diff Ratio Based on Tire Size
    FCC
    FCC

Post by FCC Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:43 am

And this tire gets you a 26" tall tire.  Bringing a 4.00:1 Diff down to 3.69:1.

----> 205/75/14

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:24 pm