VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Black California License Plate With Stamped Year

drc

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Black California License Plate With Stamped Year Empty Black California License Plate With Stamped Year

Post by drc Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:25 pm

So I have a friend that bought a pair of black California license plates. They(Or one) have the year actually stamped into the plate where the sticker goes. He's attempting to get the plates assigned to a car he owns, that wasn't made in that particular year that the plate is stamped with.

Anyone ever deal with this issue with CA DMV?

Thoughts?
    drc

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Black California License Plate With Stamped Year Empty Re: Black California License Plate With Stamped Year

Post by drc Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 pm

And yes, I did tell him it kind of looks like they are going to make new black plates next year... but he had already bought the original plates...
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Black California License Plate With Stamped Year Empty Re: Black California License Plate With Stamped Year

Post by BoneMan Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:26 pm

I'm no expert, but this is where I am with getting a pair assigned/registered to my 1969 A108.

At the DMV office, it's all about the year of manufacture sticker.  (YOM)

I have a pair of 1969 black plates (with the 63 stamped in), but I need a 1969 YOM sticker to put on one of them.  Without the 1969 sticker on there, the DMV has refused. I've tried.

Near the bottom of this form there is a for Department use only field named.
    "Year tab OR Sticker Color and Number:"
    This is the form they had me fill out.
    http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.pdf

When you walk into DMV, one of the two plates must have a year sticker (Sticker Color and Number) that matches the year of the car you want to have them registered to.  In my case 1969.  

As I understand it, I have two choices.
    1. Find an original 1969 YOM sticker
    2. Take a chance and buy a reproduction for about 25 bucks.
    Either way I will still be praying DMV accepts them.

example of original (not reproductino) for 1965 year on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-1965-California-YOM-license-plate-renewal-tag-sticker-decal-tab-DMV-A008-/111300511824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ea070850

This place seems to have the highest quality reproduction stickers.  Are they acceptable at DMV?  I wish I knew for sure!?
    http://www.shop.restoreatag.com/California-Registration-Year-Month-Stickers-1957-1988-Jan-Dec_c7.htm

That's where I am.
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

Post by uncle ron Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:43 pm

Before buying a YOM sticker make sure the plates are DMV  " clear " , meaning the letter and number combination isn't in current use .   Uncle Ron
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Post by BoneMan Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:54 pm

Good point to make sure they are clear up front.

And I just found this...

Truck/Commercial .vs. car plates stickers etc
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-351625.html

Post by Guest Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:53 am

From what I was told, if the stamped year is earlier that the vehicles year of Mfg, your good to go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:25 am