VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

problem with the rev

problem with the rev Empty problem with the rev

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:49 am

hey all, i just did my first carburetor overhaul, istalled the thing and its running,!!
    only one problem, its accelerated, i adjusted the floater to the specs, and the metering rod to the best of my understanding (its the first time i done one)
    what could be the prblem? i made sure everything that i took out was put back in the same way...
    but i think its the metering rod....
    any thoughts??

thanks...
    ohh the carb is a carter YF...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

problem with the rev Empty Re: problem with the rev

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:21 pm

1st of all, what was it doing before you overhauled the carb and what is it doing now,,,,idling too fast?????

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:27 pm

it was leaking gas, old carb bad gaskets, so i replaced them with the kit. i just adjusted the floater and the metering rod according to specs.... and yeah,
    thats the problem now, idling too fast... and i noticed that when i take the distributor hose it slows down...
    thanks..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:48 pm

That distributer hose is doing its job, advancing the timing above idle, But the carb should not be above idle at that point. So 2 things to check, is the idle adjustment screw backed out? Is it hitting the fast idle cam? You might want to pull the carb off and see if the throttle plate is closed all the way. You could have the accelerator pump link holding the throttle plate from closing all the way. Next thing it could be a vacuum leak,,,,,especially at the lower bowl gasket,,,,you get lots of gaskets for it, you might of put the wrong one in there. Another thing that happens to those carbs is the metering jet in the bowl cracks the housing and gas leaks out the bottom of the carb. Did you change any settings ,,,,,did you get the rubber pump diaphram in the right way and did you see that there was a check ball in the pump housing. Is that a manual choke?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:42 pm

whats that threaded hole on the carb base?
    mine is plugged, its ok like that i guess..i just want to know what the function of it was
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:56 pm

I think it might be for a PCV valve. I think they used draft tubes until 65. If your engine doesn't have a PCV valve, that mey be why that port is plugged. My guess...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:21 am

And it also depends on what year that carb really is,,,,,,(I don't think Ford used a Carter YF until 1969),,,,,,,probably it was for the modulator on an automatic transmission,,,,,but in later years it was for the divertor valve on an air pump system or any number of vacuum operated solenoids on emissions systems,,,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:46 am