VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
G-Man
JariV
Catimann
7 posters

Not so rare

Catimann
    Catimann

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Not so rare Empty Not so rare

Post by Catimann Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:09 pm

I have not been with the group very long but watching the for sale section and posting some myself I have realized they are not as rare as one thinks. If one had $20G to spend I would be rolling down the road right now. Maybe half that with some luck.

For those who have been here longer, have you noticed a price spike or has it been this way for a while?

Catimann
    JariV
    JariV

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2013-04-25

Not so rare Empty Re: Not so rare

Post by JariV Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:55 am

Well, these old vans have never been very popular amongst the majority of people, not even the majority of people involved in old cars. I think that old van hobby has previously been a thing for the older people between ages 40-60 or so but during last year I have seen raised interest from younger generations too.

It is not impossible that the prices start to climb. They usually tend to start to do so when people involved already build their vans beautiful that attract the eye of the bigger masses than only the few that know more about them. I attended two car shows last year. I noticed a lot of people coming to talk to me and ask a lot of questions because they were not so aware of the A-series Dodge. It raised interest.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:48 am

Not really rare as hard to find, prices have gone up, but still not as high to cover the cost of a build and make money
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:51 am

Not too hard to find, I just look out my back door and see two of them...

But yes, prices are climbing, not only in the 'dreamer prices' that some ads post, but also in what vans are actually selling for.

Vans that a few years ago would have been 'parts vans' are becoming 'project vans' too.
    66mnecotruck
    66mnecotruck

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2014-02-15

Post by 66mnecotruck Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:04 am

You would not believe how many different refrigerators there are out there until you start shopping for them:) These are fairly rare especially when you place the numbers next to the Ford Mustang:) Which you can find any part under the sun for and resurrect even the most derelict and put them back on the road. These trucks have been cared for by the few and few know how to work on them any more. If you do not posses the skills, tools and patience and work space to do the work yourself, you will and should pay in my opinion.

I've attached the only production numbers I could find.

I'm 49 and we camped and pulled trailers with econolines. When I see one it takes me right back when my dad was younger than I. Covered in grease, making sure it was as ready for the next trip as he could. That age group may become more interested as they get some funny money built up.

Me, I'm going to skip the next iwatch  that tells me how many bowel movements I had that day. I'm going to digress to a machine I remember and you don't need hands the size of a 4yr old asian child to work on.

By the way I'm an artist, not a very good mechanic. My profile shot is what I want my truck to look like someday:)

http://econolineid.com/production.shtml
    66mnecotruck
    66mnecotruck

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2014-02-15

Post by 66mnecotruck Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:52 am

I have no clue what Chevy and Dodge numbers compare to Ford. I would assume even more rare...?
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 am

There are certainly rarer vehicles... But how many of these did you see down at the Mall parking lot???

I think they are a great place to start if you want to do a restore though, as they are unique enough to draw attention (unlike a Rustang), Cheap enough to get a good project to start with, Fairly easy to still find all the drivetrain parts and most other parts can either be customized or made from other vehicles.

So it's a good entry level vehicle, before you move on to that '36 Caddy

Not so rare Lifts11
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Since most of our vans were service vehicles, they took quite a beating, and most are no longer with us. The Mustangs and others were better cared for.

The prized classic vehicles are priced high because older folks are wanting the vehicle they had, or always wanted when they were younger.

Since ours were service vehicles, there is not the same nostalgia.
    Catimann
    Catimann

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by Catimann Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:10 pm

66mnecotruck wrote:

I looked over those no's and wondered what a "custom pick up" is? Was it special trim or other stuff?
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Custom pickup had a deluxe interior and had five windows. The standard pickup had three windows but could have 5 windows.

Catimann wrote:
    66mnecotruck wrote:

I looked over those no's and wondered what a "custom pick up" is?  Was it special trim or other stuff?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:34 am