VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
dix
CBODYTRUCKER
6 posters

What kind of speed can i expect????

CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2013-03-28

What kind of speed can i expect???? Empty What kind of speed can i expect????

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:51 am

Well I just got my 69 A108 through its MOT here in GB, for those who are wondering
    MO what? its the 'Ministry Of Transport' road worthiness test here in blighty.....a joyous
    occasion shared by all English motorists once a year!

Anyhow 'im giving my 318 some beans on the way to the MOT station
    (probably not the best idea as its the first time its moved since 1997)
    and its enjoying a steady 60mph at just under 3000 rpm on the tach,
    temp and oil pressure are stable.
    its a 318 auto with the tiny single bbl carb, I got a bit more out of it on the
    way back but as I wasn't looking to break any records on its first trip ......
    or anything else for that matter so I just got it back home, my question is
    is this about right for what I have standard performance wise before I go
    into tuning or HP development in any way.
    Cheers Kevin UK
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

What kind of speed can i expect???? Empty Re: What kind of speed can i expect????

Post by dix Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:42 am

Tuning is allways a good starting point, and some upgrades are good aswell, I can't help you with a 1 or a 2 barrel carbs but some one will chime in, Regarding a tune up do you still have points if so were they set correctly new plugs and wires?? or was it converted to electronic ?? also a good thing to look at, And is the voltage regulator, stock or electronic ??
    as far as the speed goes is what you have good enough or are you holding traffic back ??, the things to look at is action and reaction, like adding a 4bbl, then also needed is A new intake manifold ,maybe larger exhaust manifold rework the linkage maybe new exhaust and a new air cleaner

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

What kind of speed can i expect???? Empty Re: What kind of speed can i expect????

Post by busman78 Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:23 am

Most likely a two barrel carb, one large opening on top but if you look down the throat you will see two throttle plates.
    polosteve
    polosteve

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-10-28

Post by polosteve Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Happy days on the mot Kevin  Very Happy 
    CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Happy days indeed! thanks Steve hows the engine??

Thanks for the feedback guys.....I also have to consider gearing at the axle too, I'm not
    trying to build a racer at all , just seeing if I was in the 'yeah that's about right' ball park
    or if I was 'oooh you should be pulling 75mph at those rpm easy' ....know what I mean??
    I can live with it as it is but I think with a little more running in and tuning I can get up
    to 70 and not rattle the doors off!!......we'll see!! Laughing 
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Just below the driver's seat the steel plate the rear gears should be stamped there 3.3 or 3.9 or 3.91 and 3.23 see if you can read those # i'm guessing 3.5 if so it's a 3.53 rear gear. i had 3.53 gears and 70 was no problem didn't have a tack but i felt the rpm was to high so i droped to the 3.23 this winter , i've had it out but not a long haul till spring. but i like what i was seeing out of it, and will run cooler with the 3.23

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 am

Hey Dix , yeah i'll take a look, I looked for the tag on the axle housing but its long gone!
    I also found I got a '77 engine yesterday too! .....hmmmm if it has the correct heads for '77
    they would have the unleaded valve seats??.......
    .......just had a look at the spec plate and you're right its 3.5!
    Can you use any axles on these say some of the 2.7 ish geared like out of my 70's C body Chryslers?
    or any of the B, E body axles? does the width factor come into it maybe?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:38 am

your not changing the axles  you would be changing the center section.
    Here is a link to read thru if you are going to drop down i'd try a 3.23 center,
    I have  this link posted under (A100- LINKS) Lots of info there.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/chrysler_8_34_rearends.htm

this one may be easier to read.,also the a body axles are not our vans but are baracuda/valiant/duster and such, read up on this and then lets touch base again,

http://www.moparfins.com/repairs/8-3-4_Rebuilding/Information_on_Mopar_Rears.htm
    CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:29 am

Awesome Dix Cheers!! cheers 
    1040imp
    1040imp

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

Post by 1040imp Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:17 am

Well done Kevin. Its a great feeling to get through the MOT.
    CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Cheer 1040, If I remember correctly I'm sure you offered me a van you were painting when I was looking for one last year, did yours go in the end.....excuse me if I don't remember your name off the top of my head as I just logged on for a squiz at the forum!!  Very Happy 
    RDR838
    RDR838

Registration date : 2013-03-10

Post by RDR838 Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:01 am

Kevin,

We never had the van on the Autobahn, but still:

I wouldn't go lower than 3.23 gears, you'll keep the rpm down but lose too much power. If you're not looking to get a continuous speed of 90+ miles an hour, it'll not be worth it.
    With 2.76 gears you'll have 3000rpm at 85mph, and at a solid and safe 3500rpm you'll go 100!
    3.23 gears will end up in 73mph@3000rounds and about 85mph@3500rpm.

I have 3.23 in both my cars and am more than happy with it. It's no problem to go 110 for a short while and I cruise at 85.

In a van my feeling is that 3.55 should be just fine. It'll give you 60mph@3000rpm and 69mph@3500rpm.

I use this site for these calculations:
    http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/speed-rpm-calculator
    For the tires I put 225/70/15 and when switching to automatic I put the torque converter efficiency to 95%. Don't forget to put it into Drive Wink

Cheers
    Chris
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:10 am

RDR838 I put the rpm calculator under a100 parts link looks like a good tool to save..

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-10-28

Post by polosteve Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:34 pm

What kind of speed can i expect???? A5v1
    What kind of speed can i expect???? 15ki
    What kind of speed can i expect???? Bj6d
    What kind of speed can i expect???? 3aqk
    What kind of speed can i expect???? P452

Hey Kevin, hopefully this helps? I could easily take some more if I have got the wrong end of the stick!

Steve
    1040imp
    1040imp

Registration date : 2012-09-24

Post by 1040imp Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:14 am

CBODYTRUCKER wrote:Cheer 1040, If I remember correctly I'm sure you offered me a van you were painting when I was looking for one last year, did yours go in the end.....excuse me if I don't remember your name off the top of my head as I just logged on for a squiz at the forum!!  Very Happy 

I bought it from Brian Gibson already painted. Then I got it roadworthy and converted it into a camper. Hooked now! No way is it for sale - I had wanted a Greenbrier originally but I'm really glad I bought the A100.

Cheers,

Hugh

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 am