VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Hey Wideload

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Hey Wideload Empty Hey Wideload

Post by G-Man Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:04 am

Mike I know this is a scooby model, but with your model building talent bet you could make a 2nd gen out of this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SCOOBY-DOO-MYSTERY-VAN-MODEL-plus-2-other-scooby-vans_W0QQitemZ370162845506QQihZ024QQcategoryZ2581QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Hey Wideload Empty Re: Hey Wideload

Post by donivan65 Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Here you go WideLoad,,,,,,I got you an original California license plate for your California van,,,,,,,,

Hey Wideload Big_3_16
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:58 am

I would like to find CA plates for my 65 & 68 that I got from Mark in Sacramento CA. Do they have a 65 & 68 plate??? Wideload probably still cleaning up after the Ice storm???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:13 am

California has a new law that lets you put the original plate, (which in our case), is the black and yellow 1963 license plate that was used on all 1963-70 vehicles. And that caused the price to jump from $10 to $400 a set overnight. But original plate also means original year sticker to match your van,,,,,,now we are on the look out to find a company that will reproduce the 64- 70 year decals so DMV will accept the plates. They are not for decoration,,,, So there are a few rules that make it not easy to put the real plates back on,,,,,,and to find both plates at one time..... So can you run both plates back there or just 1 on the front? Or are you going to have a Trailer Queen and not have your real plates on it?
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:31 am

Here in Indiana they run only 1 plate, so I was just going to run a CA plate on the front . Just to show where its from. I got a 64 IN truck plate on the front of my 64 ND. Since its from IN, as far as I know(with all the rust??)
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:46 am

Don,I know what you mean about the price range.I while was lookin for a tag just to put on the front,I was amazed at the prices $105+! I found a front plate,(no sticker),which was what I wanted for $12.Now I'm confused,is mine a commercial? Did trucks AND cars run 3 letters/3 numbers?
    Hey Wideload Cali_t11
    I did my tag browsing here
    http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/items/License-Plates__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_mdoZCollectiblesQQ_msppZQQ_pcatsZ14024Q2c417Q2c1QQ_sacatZ14030
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:11 am

The plates came in 3 flavors,,,,Commercial had 1 letter and 5 numbers,,,,Trailers have 3 letters and 3 numbers,,,,,Passenger vehicles have 6 numbers and they probably went to 7 digits towards the end. So that K plate is a Commercial one,,,,,like I got on my van,,,,,But what type plate you need depends on what your title says,,,,,,my van was bought new as by a contracting company,,,,,they registered it as a Commercial Vehicle and thats still what I pay for. Now over the years, if it was sold and the plate colors changed, you could slap a rear seat in it and get Passenger Plates for it. But mine is original. But the rule starts in July, so it basically you are doing a restoration,,,,to make it look like the vans 1st day on the road. But add a metal plate on the rear plate to show you paid your current registation also......
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:20 am

if you just want something for decoration, then you have no problem,,,,,BUT another big thing is, if you want to use them legally, they got to be clear,,,,dead plates,,,,,,,after awhile, DMV started using those dead plate numbers for new motorcycle plates,,,,,so you could end up with 2 pretty expensive pieces of tin that you can't use,,,,,,,,but that link is a good place to find some souvenirs,,,,,,,
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:41 am

Out here in Tenn.,we only use a rear plate.Front is open for whatever you want.My early years in life I thought you had to have a UT or Rebel flag on front.Haa I reckon we're just proud rednecks.lol
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:55 am

Ain't that some kind of law out there?
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 am

I've not known of anyone havin problems runnin old tags on front.Lots of folks run old YOMplates on front of classics here.As long as the one on rear is current(and buddy,they look close),does'nt seem to matter.
    But if you were refering to running Rebel flag/UT plates as a law,it MAY be an unwrittin thing.lol
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:42 pm

Hey I watched the Dukes Of Hazard,,,,,,,,,,(was there a car or some guys on that show also???)
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:09 am

Thanks Chris, but I've got enough to do right now. Tom's right, still cleaning up from the storm. Need to get back on the 66. Haven't touched it since I started tearing out the interior.
    Don that Cal. plate that is on the front of my 65 is the plate that came with it from San Fransisco. Didn't know what they were worth until it was to late, had already used the other one as sheetmetal on a project.

Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Ya gotta love the U.S.Postal Service !
    Just before Christmas,Wideload was gonna send me a cd with some van info on it.We talked several times,he'd ask'you get your cd yet?' Answer was always the same,Nope.Since then the cd was replaced,talked a few times,met up once,and had an ice storm or two.
    Went to the box today..low and behold,postmarked 02-Jan-09 was my package.Gotta love it.Just glad it was'nt frozen lobster or something.
    Maybe my stimulus package will be there tomorrow,I'll go outside and wait,huh? lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:15 pm