VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Anyone ever do an upgrade on a "G" drivetrain??

Anyone ever do an upgrade on a "G" drivetrain?? Empty Anyone ever do an upgrade on a "G" drivetrain??

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:54 pm

I have been thinking of MAYBE upgrading the 65's drivetrain to maybe a late model Blazer V-6 or Tahoe V-6...Rear end, trans and motor mod,,,,anyone ever done this or heard of it being done???? Just throwin ideas out there....
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Anyone ever do an upgrade on a "G" drivetrain?? Empty Re: Anyone ever do an upgrade on a "G" drivetrain??

Post by mo_1040 Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:03 pm

I think you would have the same problem with the doghouse as you would have putting in a v8... The 4.3L are just as wide as a v8 but shorter so you would need to modify the doghouse. As far as rear end... if it's the right width you can make it work... welding on leaf spring perches to match those of the old rear end but make sure your pinion angle is right. Tranny shouldn't be a problem unless your using a newer one with overdrive then you would have to buy a kit to bypass the computer to lock the torque converter.
    I say just go with a v8 and burn some rubber Laughing
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Anyone ever do an upgrade on a "G" drivetrain?? Empty Re: Anyone ever do an upgrade on a "G" drivetrain??

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:27 pm

another thing to think about being a shorter block a stock fan will be aways from the radiator and might not help much. I would think you would have to run a electric fan.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Well I am looking at either the V-6 ---T700- R-4 or the V-8 and tire Burner version,.....I seriously doubt that i keep the 6 banger-----As Im gonna have to do a ton of work... But may as well go for it,,,seein how i got it down that far... Don;t want a huge engine...just want to be able to cruise the hwyway and with trailer and not have to worry with power...Will probably do vintage AC in it also....Like the cool in summer.... SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
    Everything under this one will be address prior to lookin pretty! Mechanically she;ll be a driver!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Oh yeah. Ken's getting the "BUG"!!!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Anyone ever do an upgrade on a "G" drivetrain?? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:38 pm

Always had it....jsut got to the point where it took charge!! bOUT TIME ,,,DON;T YA THINK!>..... dAN---tHE 69 I TOLD YA ABOUT I STILL THERE...May have to hit that guy up on the way home, and just damn get it!!! Tow it home on a car hauler!!!

WOO HOO,,,may as well hoard em while I can!!!!!!!!

Your right,,,bug is here baby!!!!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:51 am

Ken,
    Here's two for sale in GA. Ones in Canton and one in Americus, Ga.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1039771682.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1015935247.html

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Anyone ever do an upgrade on a "G" drivetrain?? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:29 am