VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Wiring Harness

Mad Jack
    Mad Jack

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2013-05-25

Wiring Harness Empty Wiring Harness

Post by Mad Jack Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:18 am

Hey... wonder if anyone can help.

I have a '64 89A Econoline and at some point a monkey wearing boxing gloves has done some electrical work on it. I've been trying to find a complete replacement wiring harness for it so I can just replace the whole harness and not have to try to troubleshoot the electrical issues.... but I can't find one.

Anyone know if they're still available or where to buy a good used one?

Thanks.
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Wiring Harness Empty Re: Wiring Harness

Post by AZ SuperVan Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:06 am

I posted looking for the same thing and a member here did have one that is pretty complete. I needed the sections that go under the back of the van and also the longer version for my SuperVan, so I did not buy it. If I can find the emails with pictures I will forward them to you.
    Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Post by Vannin Ken Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:52 am

I got the schematic out of the original 62 shop manual.. blew it up on a computer to see print better and bought a ez wire kit to route the wires using a new fuse box mounted up underneath.comes with 12 circuts for easy wiring good luck
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm

If you're going to bother doing the whole harness you might want to consider making some updates. Moving the fuse box out of the headlight switch is a good one as well as using relays for your headlights. I agree with Ken, the Ron Francis type kits are spendy but they are laid out really well and offer a lot of cool features. I saw an install with the main panel located in the glove box I thought was really cool. What you will spend on the kit you will probably save in swear words.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:20 pm

You have to remember that even if you could find a wiring harness it will be 50 years old. you would be way ahead to rewire yourself. If you're really into it you could use marine grade wire, all heat shrink connectors like we do on boats. The wiring in these old rigs is pretty basic.
    Mad Jack
    Mad Jack

Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2013-05-25

Post by Mad Jack Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks for the advice guys... I was wondering if someone was making replacement ones that were ready to just drop in like painless wiring do, not a NOS one. I like the idea of the ez wire kit and relocating the fuse box.

Thanks again Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:59 am