VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Rear axle slack adjustment

Rear axle slack adjustment Empty Rear axle slack adjustment

Post by Guest Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 pm

So I have no idea as to what to do with the rear passenger side axle adjustment nut. It is only on that side and do know that is the way Dodge does things.... bang head on wall.... I have read that there should be .018 or so clearance, but how or what side do I measure? I can get the nut side to get nice and snug but the drivers side is still quite loose. Any help would really help. I really wish I had a manual right now. Xmas is coming HaHa, I wish.
    I swear I will figure out how to post pics soon.
    Thanks y'all
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Rear axle slack adjustment Empty Re: Rear axle slack adjustment

Post by RodStRace Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:36 am

The driver axle butts up against a block in the center of the diff. The right axle also touches this block and the end play of both are adjusted on the right side.

Here's a bunch of info on 8.75 axles
    http://www.mymopar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9167

Here's the install adjustment(PDF)
    http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Book/Chrysler-Adjustable-Wheel-Bearings.pdf

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Thank you, the PDF was exactly what I needed. I need to buy a manual.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Ther eare some that love the 'green bearings' so they don't have to deal with this. I prefer the originals.
    Also some say that you can run them tighter, as in only a couple thousandths to allow for heat expansion. The factory spec over the years changes even though the materials and construction didn't. So the big thing is to lube the bearings, CAREFULLY install the axle so you don't nick the inner seal, and make sure it's fairly tight and everything is installed.
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:58 am

RodStRace wrote:There are some that love the 'green bearings' so they don't have to deal with this. I prefer the originals.
    Also some say that you can run them tighter, as in only a couple thousandths to allow for heat expansion. The factory spec over the years changes even though the materials and construction didn't. So the big thing is to lube the bearings, CAREFULLY install the axle so you don't nick the inner seal, and make sure it's fairly tight and everything is installed.
    Like Rod said, definitely be careful with the seals when sliding the axle in, nothing worse than doing a bearing job only to end up having lube leaking out onto the brake! I would replace the seals and gasket every time the axle comes out......I learned this after the fact. Rolling Eyes 
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Yep, don't forget, the inner seal keeps diff lube out of the bearing. The bearing must be packed with grease, just like front bearings. The outer seal keeps the grease in and dirt out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:02 am