VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Ford Econo

rickland
    rickland

Number of posts : 177
    Registration date : 2013-10-14

Ford Econo Empty Ford Econo

Post by rickland Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:59 am

I have always had a eye for the different the Javelin, plymouth phoenix, the cuda when they were valueless and everyone wanted a 69 camaro. I love the look and slightly rear elevated stance of an early g van but little did I know that after a short time reading and watching post on here, I would begin to get a crush on the ford econo p/u.
    My '69 108 van has such great early interior work done, I am still in awe and it will go back in reverence to the early builder but after that I think there is a pitched forward Econo in my future as well.
    I find my self feverishly looking through the posted craigs lists ads posted here, (thank you very much) u guys have your fingers on the pulse of the market.
    When the first econo p/u came out the public must have stood in awe at the vast style change that stood before them, the 59, 60, 61 pick up's in all brands were bad, bad styling in my opinion. The 61 econo p/u must have been 10 years ahead, It seems somewhat amazing to me that a '59 impala huge seller and a 1961 econo were 2 model years apart. The 1960 jeep that was listed not long ago was so out there It has to be appreciated as well.
    As I am not in a hurry and am a bit of a purist to origionality, although forward pitch and mags are a must, is there a better year in your opinions? I definetely will want 3 speed. I have never owned a ford so I am somewhat suprised at my interest, but damn they r cool!
    also need to get the wife a vintage van tee shirt for xmas no womens available?
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Ford Econo Empty Re: Ford Econo

Post by econopoor Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:05 am

If you're looking for an Econoline pickup, the differences are easy. It all depends on what you want to do with it. The early ones, 61 and 62 all had 144's and crashbox three speeds. Nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of them on the roads. Ford built a bunch of them. They just have some limitations. In 63 and 64 they went to an all syncro top loader 3 speed gearbox and 170's. Mid 63 a 4 speed and heavy duty opitions joined the list. The four speed was junk. Fragile and hard to find parts for. Had a higher first gear so a lower rear gear was needed. The HD opition was nice. A thicker frame. About .120 compared to .050 for standard trucks. They also got the stronger nine inch rear axle whit larger brakes. In 64 an auto trans entered the list. It was a one off deal and hard to find parts for but a nice opition. In 65 everything changed. The whole truck got redone. New, larger doghouse, trans hump, thicker .070 frame, new heater that allowed more floor room. new seats, little six got a bigger clutch, Heavy engine crossmember. Ford's new 240 ci "big six" was now an opition as well. A special model was offered in the last three months of production in 65. These are highly coveted today. They had special trim and chrome that weren't offered on other pickups. They only built about somewhere between 2000 and 2500 of them. In late 65 thru 67 a narrow trim opition was also available. The last major upgrade was the dual master cylinder that came out in 67. It was a safety feature mandated by the department of transportation.

So, it all boils down to what you want. The early trucks are cheaper and easier to find. They get decent mileage and are almost indestructable. Harder to put a bigger engine in them. A 200 is the largest that will bolt in. Anything else needs fabrication. The 240 trucks run faster. have more power. can pull a trailer easier. The 240's are great engines. The 300 will bolt right into the trucks. Downside is they don't get as good of gas mileage and are prone to vaporlock more than the little six trucks. If you're looking to put a V-8 in one, the big six trucks make it easy. The trans hump and small block bolt pattern on the bell housing help a ton. To me, a 67 Heavy Duty big six truck would be my first choice if I was going to keep it stock. They are hard to find. Only 2025 pickups were built in 67 and just a few hundred were heavy dutys. Of course any of them can be modified into whatever you want just as members have done on here. It's all in what you want to do.

Duane in Tennessee
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:55 pm

If you are in Oklahoma check out the OKC Craigslist Auto Parts, type in "1961 Econoline"
    it is a project but cheap for the thousands that have been spent.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Post by rickland Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:08 pm

thanks for the info and lead, that one might be more than I have space or ability but I am thinking. I am going to re read, several times econopoors message and make notes and start to watch the threads. there is a local truck, I know nothing about but I can begin to ask questions. thanks again and all input is appreciated!
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Yep, that is the one. Body or no body the parts alone make it a pretty decent deal.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:39 pm

That 61 does look like an incredible deal. I don't see anything in the discription about it but that's a 65-67 Econoline C-4 auto trans and a nine inch chunk laying there on the shop floor. There are some expensive parts in the list. Seems I remember that brake bracket was in the $300.00 range. It's no doubt worth the money but it's not a project for begineers. Have to know your way around an Econo to be able to put it back together. Just about have to buy a parts truck just for the nuts and bolts that may be missing.

On the other end of things, Here's a nice looking 67 that you can put the key in and drive away. Doesn't mention what engine it has in it or what the reserve may be. Just showing both ends of the spectrum.

Ebay 67

Duane in Tennessee
    rickland
    rickland

Post by rickland Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:47 pm

definetely both ends of the sprectum, the 61 is just depressing, I am with econopoor if u had a rolling parts truck to put together with this one u would be in cotton. I added the 67 to watch list I am guessing 7900.00 of course I missed the the 1960 jeep by 1500. I have a standing rule never take anything apart that u cant put back together in 120 days even if u have to pull it around. case in point I would have a pro street 50 plymouth surburban and a 70 opel gt in my collection. yep thats right I said I had an eye for the odd. basically gave them both away.
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Engine, Trans and 9" rear are not included, the only thing missing from the list is the drive shaft and that is included.

I know that cause that 61 is in my shop, reason for abandoning this project is I picked up a 67 Dodge A108 with 56K original miles, unfortunately it is a inline six with 3 speed but there is a V8 and automatic in it's near future. If my shop was a twice as big then the Econoline would be staying.

econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:12 am

That Jeep was on my watch list as well. I gave some serious thought at taking a shot at it but when it hit 4g's I backed away. That's just too much for a no title doesn't run vehicle. Sure was sweet tho. I know it had Rip Van Arkie sweatin. He loves those FC Jeeps.

Busman, It just hurts my soul to see somebody give up on a project like that. Obviously you have put a lot of work and planning in that one not to mention the money. Wish I was in a position to take it over. Hopefully you can find a new home for it.

Duane in Tennessee
    rickland
    rickland

Post by rickland Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:39 am

hey busman glad to know there is someone in my neighborhood, if I can help with moving econo or somthing let me know seems we are all in this together. I would be all over it if I had the skills, I dont.
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Post by A100 Wrench Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Found a Craigslist ad for a 1964 5 window 4spd.
    Craigslist Bismark=Project,classic 1916-1972 rat rod projects.
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:37 am

Appreciate the offer, over the weekend installed the front and rear leaf springs, front suspension, front axle, steering box, drag link and front hubs. All it needs is a rear axle, wheels and tires and it would be a roller.
    rickland
    rickland

Post by rickland Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:51 pm

I have 63 on the line, 170 straight, gonna need a garage to hide it in from the wife. made an offer, we'll see how it works out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:53 am