VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box?

cryingclown
    cryingclown

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2013-09-17

Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box? Empty Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box?

Post by cryingclown Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:43 am

Hello!
    Thought I'd share an update, and also a request for a part.

Firstly, I got my A108 Travco home this week, and have begun early stage cleaning, removing gunk, and taking note of everything I find out.

Here is a link to the gallery, the last image is after I washed it, looks alot better!

http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/Vans/A100/My-Dodge-A108-Travco/33054544_RrhjDJ

I have also begun working on electrical, so far all that had worked was the headlights and front turn signals. The brake lights and rear turn signals do not. So I started working on fuses, but the pins that hold the fuses in place were rusted and fell apart when I touched them. I am wondering, if my some miricle, someone has an extra fuse box lying around? Or know of what fuse box i can replace the original with? The original is a Mopar part number 2239804.

Another question, anyone have any good ideas for where I should blog my process? And I wonder if anyone would be interested in seeing a full video documentary on YouTube of restoring mine?! Let me know!

Thanks!
    CC
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box? Empty Re: Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box?

Post by slowflapper Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:38 pm

I dont know if there is a replacement available, someone here may have an old salvaged unit though, some pictures of yours would help since it may(?) differ from stock since its a camper.

That being said, the fuse box in my '56 isnt much, you could probably get a new unit that takes the newer fuses from Summit Racing or a marine supply store.

Pegasus Racing also has blade style fuse block for sale.
    link
    cryingclown
    cryingclown

Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box? Empty Re: Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box?

Post by cryingclown Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:05 pm

slowflapper wrote:I dont know if there is a replacement available, someone here may have an old salvaged unit though, some pictures of yours would help since it may(?) differ from stock since its a camper.

That being said, the fuse box in my '56 isnt much, you could probably get a new unit that takes the newer fuses from Summit Racing or a marine supply store.

Pegasus Racing also has blade style fuse block for sale.
    link
    Oh thats cool, Thanks for the link! But im wondering - my dodge has these old glass style fuses, with amp range from 6, 15, 30 so wondering if these other fuses and box will be the same?

Here's a picture:
    Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box? <a href=Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box? Octobe14
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 pm

I don't believe that the pins (fuse clip) are actually broken off, they are designed to pop in and out, but I agree that you have a missing fuse clip. The one that goes in that position is a two prong fuse clip, that is there are two male prongs on the other side of the fuse clip that goes into that spot. I know that I have a broken box that does have the fuse clip your missing. Scott...
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:02 am

If it can be repaired like Scotts said please let me know if you can find new clips (Ill replace mine later).

Here's a universal kit at Summit but it's a little high, it does include the flasher connection though, just google around a bit.

when I start on my interior I'm going to run a separate hot to a new blade style fuse block for the radio and accessories so I don't have to involve the factory harness at all.

link
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:23 am

In my world,,,,,the old boxes are useless,,,,,,,even if you get another used one,,,,,they are not enough or big enough circuits in them,,,I put in 2 of these like $5 universal ones,,,,,you run a battery wire with a fusible link to one of them,,,,,,,you run another wire from the ignition switch to the other and transfer each of your circuits to what block you want.....

Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box? New_bo10
    cryingclown
    cryingclown

Post by cryingclown Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:46 am

donivan65 wrote:In my world,,,,,the old boxes are useless,,,,,,,even if you get another used one,,,,,they are not enough or big enough circuits in them,,,I put in 2 of these like $5 universal ones,,,,,you run a battery wire with a fusible link to one of them,,,,,,,you run another wire from the ignition switch to the other and transfer each of your circuits to what block you want.....

Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box? New_bo10
    This is great, and is probably my best option. My question is, do I have to run the wiring from the battery and the the ignition switch, or can i just essentially rewire the entire fuse box in the exact way the original one came out, but with this style fuse box? Are the fuses the same amp/ volt deal and essentially equivalent to the glass ones pictured in my original?

Thanks!
    cryingclown
    cryingclown

Post by cryingclown Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 am

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 am

How about put down where in California you are at,,,,,,,,,each fuse block has 2 circuits,,,,one that has power on it all the time, one that only gets it power from the ignition switch,,,,,thats why I say get 2 blocks,,,,,,and you always will be adding more stuff as you go along,,,,,the original wiring never was set up for the stuff we add on,,,,,and the connectors are all corroded  and overheated by now,,,,thats why I say run a new 10 gauge wire from the end of the positive battery cable,,,usually by the starter, up to the fuse box and branch it over to the ignition switch also,,,,get that feed wire upgraded,,,,thats the whole power to the van,,,,,then you add the fuse blocks and hook all the different pieces equipment to it,,,,,,also, most important,,,you want to protect that feed wire by adding a 14 gauge fusible link to where it meets the positive battery cable,,,,that way if any wire shorts out, the fusible link burns and disconnects the power from the van and you don't catch on fire,,,,I don't like the glass fuses,,,,,,this is what my blocks are,,,,,but get what you can,,,,,,,,

Got the A108 Home, Started on electrical, Anyone have a spare fuse box? Repair21
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:30 am

I am just giving you  big picture,,,,Rod can fill in the details,,,,,,
    cryingclown
    cryingclown

Post by cryingclown Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:24 pm

That makes so much sense now, awesome. Thanks much! Haha Rod is the man, I'll see if he has some details for me once I get some blocks are wiring and that fusible battery hookup. Thanks man!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:40 am