VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

harmonic balancer

rickland
    rickland

Number of posts : 177
    Registration date : 2013-10-14

harmonic balancer Empty harmonic balancer

Post by rickland Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:30 pm

the 292 I have had built has harmonic balancer on it that I am told has deeper grooves and 3, because it was in an 1 ton truck application. So it is off, thoughts? and my local parts store says not available. Interchangable with 250?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

harmonic balancer Empty Re: harmonic balancer

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Well a 194/230/250 balancer has a about an 1.250 hole in it,,,,,so see if that is the size of the 292 crank,,,,,also,,,,,one or 2 of the pulleys on the 292 probably come off,,,,,,check to see if the balancers have a groove cut in in them  from the seal,,,but they make repair sleeves for them,,,,,and check the TDC notch,,,,,,they are not all in the same place,,,,,
    rickland
    rickland

Post by rickland Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:31 pm

great info. though now i am just wondering why not change alternator pulley back to origional i still have. are belts that diffrent that they wont fit new waterpump groove? motor came out of 65 or 66 chevy car hauler what were other grooves for? thank for all the info!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:10 pm

They use the extra belts for the air pump, power steering and A/C on normal cars and trucks,,,,,we just normally use 1 belt to run the alternator and waterpump,,,,,,,but those extra pulleys dont hurt anything as long as the waterpump fan blade don't hit the balancer,,,,,,but put a belt in the groove,,,,,,see if it fits  like the alternator  and water pump pulleys,,,,,,,see how much, if any the belts stick up out of the pulleys,,,,,,,,I think a bigger belt, if you have to have one, would work on smaller pulleys better than a smaller belt working the bigger pulley.......
    rickland
    rickland

Post by rickland Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:52 am

motor is in the dog house. had to put through the front passenger door because pass through to rear of van is to low I will try to post pic. the timing chain cover is directly over the front axle, does that sound right? have gone back for some mtr mts that fit a 71 chevy that have triangular bolt pattern and a hole in the center diffrent than the 292 mts that have ears. trying to post pic. if placement is right looks like fan is gonna be really close to radiator.
    rickland
    rickland

Post by rickland Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:05 pm

put pics in motor on the floor post.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:51 pm

There are brackets that mount on the engine so that the 3 bolts in the rubber motor mount connect to it while 1 bolt comes up from the crossmember into the rubber,,,,,,the crankshaft on a 292 also uses bigger bolts in the flywheel, so you need a 292 flywheel or flexplate and bolts......also,,,,,its easy to put the crossmember in backwards if you don't pay attention.....

harmonic balancer Nodoor12
    rickland
    rickland

Post by rickland Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:16 pm

The fuel pump side has about a one inch spacer behind the mtr mount bracket? other side does not. perch on crossmember has a hole centered. i re installed crossmember with perches headed toward back. Thanks for all the info. it is starting to come back to me slowly. I think I have the flywheel and bolts right. what is the housing next to the oil filter? not on mine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:41 am