VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

fiberglass to patch holes?

BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2013-05-15

fiberglass to patch holes? Empty fiberglass to patch holes?

Post by BlueSteel Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:56 pm

First time posting outside the E-forum. Thought this question isn't model specific. I know that using fiberglass to patch up some body work issues isn't optimal... But I haven't seen any discussion on this site about doing so...is this kind of a hush hush topic that no one talks about...or an option that no one explores...or does this option not even work? Ideally I'd take my 62 falcon to a body shop and have them weld some metal on...but until I save enough pennies I gotta get my van sealed up before the winter rains come.

Any thoughts or pointers?

Thanks guys!

Blessings,

Josh
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

fiberglass to patch holes? Empty Re: fiberglass to patch holes?

Post by dix Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Blue Steel All these trucks have some type of filler on them,So you do what you have to do, most of the group are under the same issues , bad economy and less money, I have no idea what kind of a handi-man you are , But most comunity colleges have a tech school at a low cost and you can learn how to work on cars ect... I know RodStRace did this. But you can take the van there, using there equipment and there guidance and work on your van there, as lond as you take it home every day. Every thing I did on my van I did my self, You can save a ton of money and get a lot of pride of your project, as far as the fiberglass goes there is two types tiger hair and a mesh type that uses a two part epoxy,The prep work is allways the most important thing you can do Read up on how to do, and go on u-tube there is a ton of good info on there as well, let us know what help you need. .

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:23 pm

The main problem with this sort of repair is the rust surrounding the hole. If it isn't removed it will come back eventually and bubble under the filler. Not a good long term solution, but ok as temporary, as long as there is nothing structural with holes in it....!

If you like old cars, you should really learn how to weld. Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:54 am