VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Carb problem

bratbike
    bratbike

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2011-08-29

Carb problem Empty Carb problem

Post by bratbike Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Hello,
    I have a '63 Eco pickup with a carb? problem. Has a small Holley but not like the ones in the manuals. I can squirt a little gas in the carb & the engine will fire right up & run till the gas is gone. It has an electric fuel pump & a filter right at the carb. The pump pumps gas right to the carb. There is a fitting that the filter screws into & it seems that the gas does not go thru that fitting. Has a little plunger in it. I thought that my fuel pump was to strong so I bought one with less pressure. What is that fitting? Cannot find it on a parts picture. I guess that I haven't found the right carb pic? I am 1/2" from starting my Eco.

Thanx Much!
    Brat
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Carb problem Empty Re: Carb problem

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:06 pm

,,,,,this is a Motorcraft carb,,,,,but do you get gas to flow out of the fuel line when you disconnect it from the carb and turn the key on?

Carb problem Repair48
    bratbike
    bratbike

Post by bratbike Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:06 am

That looks a lot like my carb but has small Holley on the left side? I'm getting gas up to that brass piece between the filter & carb. If I take the hose loose, gas flies from pressure. It's like it gets to the brass piece & stops. I have taken it off & it seems fine?

Thanx Much!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 am

float is stuck !! SHUT!!=wont allow gas into the float bowl!! remove the top & look @ float & needle & seat !! Likely just needs a cleaning & new kit installed!affraid 
    bratbike
    bratbike

Post by bratbike Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:01 am

OK, I'll check it out. Also, on the slider piece below the brass piece(has 3 slots in it). I am in the center slot. I took it loose and did not remember which slot to be in. What is that thing for?

Thanx Much!
    Bratbike
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 am

Yep, float (or more likely needle and seat) stuck shut. Remove and clean the parts, reinstall and check to see that the float level is reasonable. A rule of thumb is that the top of the float or the seam is level. Not hanging down, not tilted up when the float is lifted by the fuel to the point when the gas lifts the float and closes the needle and seat.
    Typcal carb fuel pressures are 3-4 psi for smaller 2 bbls, 4-6 psi for 4 barrels.

The 3 slot deal is to adjust the accelerator pump shot for different applications. A rebuild kit should detail which is the exact correct slot for your engine/trans. However, what they sell as "Gas" today is much different than what the carb was designed for and you may find it works better in another slot. Since it's in the middle, I'd say run it unless you get really bad MPG (too much pump shot) or it hesitates a lot on acceleration (too little). It will probably be fine once you get the rest working and adjusted.
    bratbike
    bratbike

Post by bratbike Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:05 am

I used carb cleaner & a little air pressure on fuel entrance. The engine now starts & running:cheers:  but only with the choke on😕 . Now what?Question 
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Have you adjusted the mixture screw?      Take the carb cleaner and spray the outside of the carb and see if the engine runs better,,,,,,,,,
    bratbike
    bratbike

Post by bratbike Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:38 pm

I haven't touched any screws yet. At least it runs with the choke on. What does spraying the outside of the carb do?
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Your idle circuit is likely gummed up, or a vacuum leak, possibly a stuck or missing check ball in the carb as well. I'd get a kit for the carb and go through it from top to bottom inside and out. When I got my econo it wouldn't run without some choke. I rebuilt the carb and found it to have been rebuilt previously wrong, missing a check ball and a weight and 2 check balls where there should have been one.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:29 pm

I like to do things one step at a time,,,,,so you don't end up with 10 pages of 100 guesses,,,,,,you say it won't idle,,,,which means too much gas or not enough,,,,,,not enough is easy to test,,,,,,carb cleaner is just like gas,,,,if you spray some in the carb AND the engine runs better,,,,,the engine needs more gas,,,,,,maybe the mixture screw which allows the gas in, needs to be turned out more,,,,,,not enough gas could also mean too much air,,,,,thats why you spray the carb cleaner on the outside of the carb to see if air is sneaking in through a bad gasket or  hose,,,,,the test is to determine if the engine is running too rich or too lean so you know where to start looking for for the problem,,,,,,when the choke is on, you are on fast idle which could be taking you out of the idle circuit or covering up a flooding out problem,,, and also cutting off the air,,,,,so that don't tell you much,,,,,so either the carb is dry down inside it when it dies or you see or smell gas,,,,so find out what you got,,,,,,then we can tell you what to fix......  

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:58 am