VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Need help finding Key Code for 1968 Dodge A100 (or similar year)

cryingclown
    cryingclown

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2013-09-17

Need help finding Key Code for 1968 Dodge A100 (or similar year)  Empty Need help finding Key Code for 1968 Dodge A100 (or similar year)

Post by cryingclown Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:01 am

Hello everyone!
    I am looking for someone with a Dodge A100 1968 that could check on some information for me.

I am looking to make a bump key in attempt to turn an ignition for testing before I decide to purchase.  In order to make the bump key,  I need to know the exact "key code"  aka the type of key used for the make and model.  

It should say somewhere in the manual,  but also here is a Webpage that will help find the key code :

http: // www . triple-c . com/How_to_find_your_cars_lock_or_key_code . cfm
    (I'm a new member so I had to add spaces before and after every period in the url,  delete them at paste in address bar)

I really hope I won't have to rely on my mediocre lock picking skills to rest this engine...  

Thanks for any help!
    Cryingclown
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Need help finding Key Code for 1968 Dodge A100 (or similar year)  Empty Re: Need help finding Key Code for 1968 Dodge A100 (or similar year)

Post by A100 Wrench Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:07 am

Hotwire the positive side of the coil and jump the starter solenoid.If it cranks and starts then you can go to more trouble of keys.Spray carb cleaner in it as you crank,it will run on it till you pull fuel from the pump.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Need help finding Key Code for 1968 Dodge A100 (or similar year)  Empty Re: Need help finding Key Code for 1968 Dodge A100 (or similar year)

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:32 am

Don't bother with a bump key. It will be frustration!
    Do as I said and grab another switch or do as Gothboy said and hot wire it.
    I would suggest following the procedures I outlined in the PM. It's better to spend an hour or two slowly bringing it back to life than to quickly get it fired and cause internal damage that will cause a LOT more time, money and effort to fix.
    It is not the best work area shown in the video, so you may want to just risk that the engine will be okay and get the van home, then bring it back to life.
    Prelubing, making sure there is no water in the oil and not running off the tank junk are all important!
    cryingclown
    cryingclown

Post by cryingclown Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:00 pm

RodStRace wrote:Don't bother with a bump key. It will be frustration!
    Do as I said and grab another switch or do as Gothboy said and hot wire it.
    I would suggest following the procedures I outlined in the PM. It's better to spend an hour or two slowly bringing it back to life than to quickly get it fired and cause internal damage that will cause a LOT more time, money and effort to fix.
    It is not the best work area shown in the video, so you may want to just risk that the engine will be okay and get the van home, then bring it back to life.
    Prelubing, making sure there is no water in the oil and not running off the tank junk are all important!
    I don't have the time to purchase a new ignition switch, figure out the wiring, solder it all together and hope I did it right. That will add many more possibilities to it not turning over. I am pretty experienced in lock picking and I didn't mean bump key, I meant auto jiggler. It is not hard at all and less damaging to the electronics than hot wiring. I am still intending on spending much time before attempting to turn it over doing the things you had described to me previously. I am very nervous about buying the van without knowing if the engine will even be workable..

Hot-wiring is my next best option, if i can figure that out..
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:10 pm

The ignition switch has a single large multi-wire connector that pops on and off.
    No soldiering, not even a bunch of nuts and wire terminals!

Need help finding Key Code for 1968 Dodge A100 (or similar year)  TK-4978
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Post by A100 Wrench Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Wire from battery positive to coil positive. Use alligator clips on your jump wire.Nice thing about older point style distributors, no electronics to fry. Make sure you check point gap before you try to start.
    cryingclown
    cryingclown

Post by cryingclown Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:47 am

@A100
    Do you know of a diagram for this, or can you explain where the to wire this? I'll probably use this method to jump it
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:07 am

I don't like to broadcast how to hot wire anything out on the net for potential theives to learn.
    I'll send you a PM with the specifics.
    cryingclown
    cryingclown

Post by cryingclown Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 am

Understandable, thank you for the help.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:00 pm

I have a spare ignition switch you can borrow if you are in the San Diego area, but really, bypassing it is way too damn easy on these...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:32 am