VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
RodStRace
CBODYTRUCKER
6 posters

ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WINDSHIELDS a108???

CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2013-03-28

ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WINDSHIELDS a108??? Empty ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WINDSHIELDS a108???

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm going to have my front windshields made and want to put them in myself
    ok whats the best way?

i.e do I fit the gasket to the van then put the glass in? if so do I start with it going in bottom edge first? top edge first? side?

or maybe fit the gasket to one side and apply that to the van??

do I use a sealant or do they fit dry?

any tips much appreciated

thanks in advance!
    Kevin UK
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WINDSHIELDS a108??? Empty Re: ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WINDSHIELDS a108???

Post by RodStRace Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 pm

What I've found works is to get the gasket out in the sun (in the UK?) so it's soft and flexible.
    Install the gasket around the glass and then set the bottom edge of the gasket over the flange at the bottom from the outside.
    At this point, put in a section of twine tucked into the outside groove of the gasket along the sides and top. Often some soapy water or glass cleaner will help get everything slippery.
    Have a helper push gently on the outside of the glass near the outer bottom corner, spreading the area they are pushing on. While the glass is being pushed in, go inside and pull the twine so the lip of the gasket flexes up and over the flange.

ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WINDSHIELDS a108??? 75085d1058309292-how-install-windshield-40-mvc-019s

You can push pretty hard before the glass breaks, but pushing also tends to jam the gasket edge so it won't slip up and over. Work slowly, and work up the to proper force.
    Once the gasket is up each side, work the top corners. It may require shoving the glass down into the base gasket to get around the top corners and the top of the gasket to slip in. A tool like a bent screwdriver may help coax the gasket to flip up over the flange, but be careful around the glass edge.
    After the gasket is fully installed, grab the glass between your hands (in and out) and wiggle it so it's centered and the gasket is even all around.
    Now install the lock strip in the front of the gasket. There is a special tool for this, but if both the gasket and lock strip are new, warm and flexible, it can be done by hand with a couple screwdrivers or plastic trim removal tools. Be careful around glass!
    ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WINDSHIELDS a108??? K18-0811ae
    You can google images for a better view of the windshield lock strip tool.

BTW, will the guy cutting the glass install it?
    If so, he takes the risks, has the experience and should warranty against leaks.
    If the glass is slightly off, he will have the feel to know and fix it, too.

Here's a youtube video of the process
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keNGeBKOduM

Here's one installed the opposite way, gasket first, then glass. I have never seen this done in the field.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPBZOVK0eBI
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WINDSHIELDS a108??? Empty Re: ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WINDSHIELDS a108???

Post by RodStRace Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Another, Part 1 with the sealer around the outside
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7Prioj9Xo

Part 2 sealing around the inside
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY_b6838A8g

I've found the the more common area for leaks is where the gasket meets the body flange, NOT where it meets the glass.
    The glass is very smooth flat and even. The flange is lumpy, uneven thickness and often has twists.
    So I'd prefer to seal the flange, not the glass. Doing this is extremely messy! I'm amazed this guy hasn't masked off everything.

Again, talk to your glass person. Arizona where I live is a different environment and we have different supplies and process sometimes.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Amazing tips again Rod! Any tips on where to get the gaskets? Mine are shot.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:30 am

e-bay , about $125.00 is a good price.

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:24 am

My advice, let the glass guy install it. If he breaks it, he buys you a new glass! you break it...your SOL! Smile
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Post by A100 Wrench Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:17 am

Restoration Specialties& Supply Inc. www.RESTORATIONSPECIALTIES.COM
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 am

I agree let a glass do it

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 am

Are any of you guys concerned with a glass guy doing your vintage van? Or are they pretty knowledgable about all vehicles? I assume it's pretty standard after watching those vids.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 pm

I did mine with help from my wife.It's not to hard... The way i look at it is if he can do it then so can I. BUT every one knows their limits to,

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:59 pm

A100 Wrench wrote:Restoration Specialties& Supply Inc.  www.RESTORATIONSPECIALTIES.COM
    GREAT TIP!
    They carry alot of products.
    CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:24 am

That's really great advice fellas, yeah leaving the rubber gasket out in the sun in September over here will probably make it more solid! I have been in contact with a bloke over here who can source and fit at a decent price AND take the risks!!

Thanks again i'll keep you posted how it looks in the end
    Cheers Kevin UK

Post by Guest Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Any update on this? I got new seals showing up this week.

Also I can't seem to find these seals.....anybody got a lead?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Just tried to do mine and didnt go so well. I have the seal from restoration specialties and it almost seemed to small. I am gonna try to find a glass guy to do it.

CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:56 pm

.....Still waiting on my screens! but i'll post pics and take vid' when the time comes! - they should be here this weekend and hopefully get down to fitting up next week.....yeehaaw!!

Post by Guest Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Had mine installed. Need the right tools and knowledge for sure.
    The middle rubber spine is not fitting that well. Its like the glass is a little too small for the new seal. I dont understand why they made the center strip so loose and not rigid.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:36 pm