VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Diff ring and pinion

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Diff ring and pinion Empty Diff ring and pinion

Post by Rayallen Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Guys now that I finally got this motor almost good to go I am thinking about the other things I've been wanting to get to.

I want to change out my 4.11 for a 3.50 for a more enjoyable ride on the hwy and around town.

I can't seem to find anything that says its for a 64 econoline. However I found this set for a 64 falcon 9" rear. It should work for my Econo's 9" rear correct?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2989077&cc=1333954
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Diff ring and pinion Empty Re: Diff ring and pinion

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:09 am

The 9 is a removeable carrier, so it will be a lot easier to find a 28 spline 350 and just swap pumkins.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:24 am

replacing the entire carrier/diff pumpkin is a lot more expensive. $1000-2000k New depending on where I look. Which is why I am looking at the diff and pinion only. Then I can take the parts in and have the shop do it etc and save some money.

If I can find a used 9" diff rear with a 3.50 that would be ideal, but that is a task in itself.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:19 am

Yes the 350 is one of the most popular rears, but not imposible to find. Too bad you are 2K miles away or I could set you up. I'd rather not ship one of them because of the bulk and the cost. If you have a pick & pull in your area keep checking there. You would be surprised what they get. They get lots of stuff from estate sales and tax gifts to charities. Check online for their inventory. Look for any ford truck older than 1986 and cars older than 1980, IIRC. The ID tag will have the ratio on the second line and the first digit is usually partly covered by the nut. Who knows, you might get lucky and find one with an "L" where the dot is, which tells you it is a limited slip. ( 3L50 instead of 3.50) Happy hunting!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:28 am

For me,, I simply go to the yard and pull one. They cost me about a hundy plus my time and labor.
    I have bunch of them here as I accumulate them, extra axles, drums, housings and whole rear ends. I sell a complete 9' here drum to drum for $500 (newly turned drums in safe measurements)
    The GENII Econolines typically have a 3:25 gear range as most common, with occasional 3:50's in them and very rarily a set of 3:00's.
    For the price of getting one at the bone yard its simply not worth rebuilding one, however its not real difficult to do, if you want to. You will need an INCH LB torque wrench in order to properly set the crush sleeve tension, and a normal torque wrench. Problem is that in order to set the crush sleeve you will need a cheater bar as it takes a lot of muscle to tighten the pinion nut.
    I will post some links in regards to how do it,, but will have to close this, save them and then post them back for you...
    Those are some CRAZY prices,,,,, I could ship sell you one and ship it for far less,,,,????

Vic

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:47 am

66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:58 am

Yes, what Vic said.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks, guys something for me to think about for sure. I will see what I can find here around town and go from there.

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:14 pm

found a guy here in town. If I bring him the 3rd member only he will charge $150 labor plus parts. Says he using high quality gears to prevent noise, replace seals and bearing. With parts and labor $500-$600. Not to bad.. If I bring him the entire van labor cost go up of course...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:10 am