VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Trying to get home!!

TBmain
    TBmain

Number of posts : 100
    Registration date : 2010-03-18

Trying to get home!! Empty Trying to get home!!

Post by TBmain Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Well its been another rough day on a flat bed leaving Albuquerque! now we are back at The Monterey Inn. great place but by the time I got the van running again we decided to stay the night. While we waited for the flat bed I looked into the noise we hear underneath when going slow in traffic. It's the drive shaft slip yoke. Apparently when we lost the rear u joint by the Hoover Dam, the slip yoke did not approve, when I grab it there is a bit of play in it. Anyone in the area with a good drive shaft for a 67 econo C4 and 9inch? let me know I'm headed to drive shaft shop in am to see how bad it is and whether or not its safe to drive.  THANKS Tim from IL
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Trying to get home!! Empty Re: Trying to get home!!

Post by RodStRace Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:22 am

Darn Tim, it's become a real adventure!
    I sent a PM to you, a friend's # in the area. Hope you can get back on the road.
    Have them check the output bushing too.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:40 am

I just talked to Tim and he's got it handled. A shop in town is replacing his front U-joint.
    He replaced the rear one North of Kingman.
    Both were new with ~6K miles on them, but were china C#@p.
    If you guys are going to drive your vans, spend the extra few bucks and get quality parts!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:22 am

Sorry to hear you guys are having problems, hope this is the last of them
    TBmain
    TBmain

Number of posts : 100
    Registration date : 2010-03-18

Post by TBmain Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Yea thanks John we made it home under its own power. Still running rich checking for vacuum leaks tonight
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:58 am

Best of luck amigo!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:16 am

TBmain wrote:Yea thanks John we made it home under its own power. Still running rich checking for vacuum leaks tonight
    Vacuum leaks = lean.

Rich is too much fuel. Possible causes:
    Float level too high.
    Plugged air bleeds
    parts incorrect.

Considering that you started out okay and the problem got worse on the way back after the big backfire and flooding when the needle and seat had the junk in it, I'd guess that when it was taken apart and cleaned, that when reassembled the float level was changed a bit and that is the cause.
    Pull it apart again and check the float level.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Glad to hear you made it home,, that was a real enduro of a trip and jealous I cant try one myself....  coodohs to you bro.....

Back fire is usually ignition and or electrical. You have the big six so you dont have a timing chain to go bad, so doubt any issues there.  Vacume leaks will cause the engine to run hot and or not stop running from running lean and turning a valve or some thing red hot. If you turn off the igniton key while running it can back fire badly enough to blow a muffler apart,, its happened to me being a smart alack when younger,,, LOL....Make sure you dont have any ignition key issues either???
     Anyways, I would check the carb,, there are three phillips head screws that tighten from under the carb and they always come loose, also check the float and the rest of it,, Seriously doubt a vacume leak but there could be one in addition to the problem.
    Also check your DWELL,,,  use a Dwell meter,, there is NO GUESSING as to the gap and is that a problem,, THEN you can deal with timing and only then....

In regards to the transmission,,, THAT TRANS does NOT HAVE a slip yoke,,, LOL....

It has the solid yoke short tail stock and uses a real ball bearing to support the drive shaft, and NOT a bushing like the car transmisions....    Heavy Duty trucks use a solid output yoke.
    The drive shaft has splines in it and moves back and forth and much stronger.  I have a drive shaft if its needed,,,
    Vic

Trying to get home!! 100_1212

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 pm