VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Need some help with hing pins for my 69 GMC

Arnolds Garage
    Arnolds Garage

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2013-03-23

Need some help with hing pins for my 69 GMC Empty Need some help with hing pins for my 69 GMC

Post by Arnolds Garage Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:19 am

I've already replaced the front door pins. It is the
    side and rear doors that I need some help with. Will they use the same pins with an extra bushing?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Need some help with hing pins for my 69 GMC Empty Re: Need some help with hing pins for my 69 GMC

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:14 pm

I use these to replace the worn hinge pins and bushings on our vans,,,,,They are larger than the stock ones, so you drill out the hinges for a PERFECT fit,,,,,,,

Need some help with hing pins for my 69 GMC Hinge_10
    Arnolds Garage
    Arnolds Garage

Need some help with hing pins for my 69 GMC Empty Re: Need some help with hing pins for my 69 GMC

Post by Arnolds Garage Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Those are the ones I used for the front doors. But since the rear are a little different I wanted to be sure I could use the same.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:53 pm

These pins actually are for the side and rear doors,,,,if you use them on the front doors,,, they stick out a little and you have to trim off about 1/8" if  that is important to the look of your van,,,,,,,,
    Arnolds Garage
    Arnolds Garage

Post by Arnolds Garage Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks for the info after I get my springs taken care of I'll move on to the doors. Hopefully.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:42 pm

I would say do whatever Donivan suggests. I lucked out, after a horrible experience with Bob Drake Reproductions and their ***ty hinge pin tool, and got a couple of different pins per an old VW Bus and another generic pin from Ace Hardware. In other words, I measure the pins I'd need with little reaming and got pins to fit my original hinges. Of course, that's all downhill after trying to remove the bastards.

Then, before inserting, I put brass bushing (just little washers) from Ace on the wear side of all the hinges and lubed them up with white lithium grease (my fave grease) and now they all are tight and seem better than new.

Actually, it was one of the biggest PITA projects I;ve ever done--mostly because I wasted so much time with the Bob Drake tool. Only bought the thing because they assured me it wasn't made in China. Turns out to be made in Taiwan. They don't consider that China or deceptive. Either China, of course, puts the "C" in Cuality.

Good luck and after you get those hinges right you'll love just opening and closing those doors.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:44 am