VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
G-Man
Admin
Army of Six
7 posters

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA

Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Empty family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA

Post by Army of Six Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 am

we went there two years ago. then the van had a 240 and c4 trans.  of course getting there and back is always a concern in an old van.  its over 200 miles one way with a couple of mountain passes, most notably the 5N aka the grapevine.  two years ago the old 240/C4 did ok up those passes...she did get really hot...as in if it gets a degree hotter (water or trans temp) i was going to pull over. she barely made it over the passes with out over heating.

Since then i have made several upgrades.  most notably a mustang II front end, front and rear sway bars and a chevy v6 with a 700R4 overdrive transmission with lock up converter.  i rigged up the the lockup with a simply toggle switch.  when we were in cruise mode i would simply flip a switch and the torque converter would lock up, the engine rpm would drop a few hundred like i had an extra gear.  another great feature when it is locked up is the trans temp.  without the converter slipping the trans temp never really got above 150 deg across the 85-90 deg temps in central cali.  another thing that was great was the over drive... before the ole 240 was winding up pretty good to keep up with everyone int he caravan. with the OD and added security of a new independent front end and front and rear sway bars we got her up to 85 mph rather easily.  i did have a bit of a drone that i think maybe a rear wheel out of balance or maybe a drive shaft.  any ways, we cruised at 75-80 mph easily.

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Img_1310

this is about as hot as she got going up the grapevine....

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Img_1311

and of course a lot cooler once we made it over and back down..

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Img_1312

setting up camp...

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Img_1313

and some of the wildlife that kept my ass up ALLLLL night lol

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Dsc05410

we rented a boat for the day...here is a quick pic of my step son and friend a split second before ejection...  lol

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Dsc05510

it was a wonderful trip.  the van ran good there and even better on the way home (lighter load) here is a quick pic just after we made it over the mountain.

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Img_1314

Last edited by Army of Six on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Empty Re: family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA

Post by Admin Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 am

looks like a lot of fun! Very Happy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA Empty Re: family camping trip to Lake Nacimiento CA

Post by G-Man Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Looks like a great time
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Congrats on the successful trip and cooling off the boys with a good dunking!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Glad to see your trip was good and the van ran good as well. Looks like those boys were haveing a ball.
    campin'fool 2
    campin'fool 2

Number of posts : 252
    Registration date : 2013-02-02

Post by campin'fool 2 Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:16 am

Looks like a blast!!

Joel
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:59 am

Awesome!!! I hope one day to take my behemoth out to camp in! Looks like you had a great time! Thank you for sharing!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:27 pm