VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Gothboy
Stoopid john
G-Man
67Dodger
rustytoolss
9 posters

A100 as daily driver ??

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

A100 as daily driver ?? Empty A100 as daily driver ??

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Does anyone use their A100's as there daily drive. That's my overall plan. I usually only drive about 5000 miles a year. I do live in Ohio...snow:roll:  but grew up driving RWD. And if the roads were real bad, I've got a PT Cruiser.
    Thing is I've got an 09 Jeep Patriot 32,000 miles, and in the last 4 months it by far has become the most unreliable thing I've ever owned.
    Always had a thing for A100s, and sick of the jeep. kind of want an old school ( something that I know how to keep running)ride. I no I will be giving up things. But right now reliability (plus owning something I've always wanted) mean a heck of a lot. Let me know what you think.
    As for the snow thing. In 1970 my dad did not park our A108. And all those 32 fords, 68 RoadRunners and everything else in its day were driven in all weather conditions. Feed back please. Thanks
    67Dodger
    67Dodger

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2013-02-10

A100 as daily driver ?? Empty Re: A100 as daily driver ??

Post by 67Dodger Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:42 pm

I drove my '67 pickup daily for years. Not many issues except idiots cutting in front of me and people gawking at my truck.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:46 pm

67Dodger wrote:I drove my '67 pickup daily for years. Not many issues except idiots cutting in front of me and people gawking at my truck.
    Anyone else. I'm sure someone else can give me input.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 pm

In OH your early won't last long driving in our winters, I would save it for daily summer driving
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:23 pm

G-Man wrote:In OH your early won't last long driving in our winters, I would save it for daily summer driving
    I understand what your saying. My overall plan was to cover the under side/frame/lower under sides of body panels with a quality rust stopping coating (type sold at body shop supply stores/eastwood) and to check every year. Then re coat as needed.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 pm

I drove mine 50 miles a day for over a year, mine is a slant6 with a cam and 4 barrel. I would get 15-16 mpg in town, mine is a 108 also. Good (disc) brakes are a must. I would/ could drive mine anywhere at a drop of a hat, i trust it more than any other car i have.

But i wimped out and now drive a 30mpg sh*t box with a/c.... But the van is ready to go anytime.
    67Dodger
    67Dodger

Post by 67Dodger Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:23 pm

rustytoolss wrote:
    67Dodger wrote:I drove my '67 pickup daily for years. Not many issues except idiots cutting in front of me and people gawking at my truck.
    What I really meant to say (this time without trying humor) is that I drove my A100 for years as a daily driver. 273 automatic got about 17 miles per and always was dependable, rain, snow, shine. Very practical as a daily driver. I did all of the upkeep and adjustments up like on the brakes and engine. Never had any braking issues except for stopping too fast....without disks, I might add. The only thing that ever really brought me grief was the radiator overheating once. Found a pinhole leak. If I had not gotten another 1931 Dodge to drive, I would still be driving my A100.....which will start right up if I go outside and turn the key. If parts are needed, they are not that hard to find.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:44 am

Im not too sure about snow (ca here) but I drive my a108 every day. 50-60 miles a day 5 a week and sometimes much longer on weekends. My only requests? Less idiots and more (any) Ac. Smile
    Those two things apply to MANY old cars though. Very decent reliability, parts availability is better than many, and the fun factor? OH YEA! I specifically bought my a108 FOR a daily. has not let me down!
    67Dodger
    67Dodger

Post by 67Dodger Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:58 am

Since mine has a 273, I had a problem with traction during the winter months here in southern Oregon. The rear weenies would spin very easily, but since I put an old engine block in the bed and got some traction, all is fine.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:53 am

67Dodger wrote:Since mine has a 273, I had a problem with traction during the winter months here in southern Oregon. The rear weenies would spin very easily, but since I put an old engine block in the bed and got some traction, all is fine.
    Sand bags & snow tires. You can still buy snow tires. And like I said I've got a FWD PT Cruiser. And it's not like I have to go out / if I don't want to.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 am

67Dodger wrote:
    rustytoolss wrote:
    What I really meant to say (this time without trying humor) is that I drove my A100 for years as a daily driver. 273 automatic got about 17 miles per and always was dependable, rain, snow, shine. Very practical as a daily driver. I did all of the upkeep and adjustments up like on the brakes and engine. Never had any braking issues except for stopping too fast....without disks, I might add. The only thing that ever really brought me grief was the radiator overheating once. Found a pinhole leak. If I had not gotten another 1931 Dodge to drive, I would still be driving my A100.....which will start right up if I go outside and turn the key. If parts are needed, they are not that hard to find.
    When I was a kid, my dad had a 1970 A108, 318, auto. in ohio. rain,snow did not matter.
    And we pulled a 18ft coachman box camper And a 12ft Aluminum V bottom fishing boat (upside down) on the roof of the A108. I don't remember if stopping was a big problem. But we did it. Heck at age 14 with that van , I towed the camper some (on back roads).
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:47 pm

I have a 67 that I used to drive everyday......70+ miles round trip to work five days a week, take on vacations, haul dirtbikes or streetbikes to events, camp in etc etc. It was my only vehicle for about 8 years or so. I'm in the south so not much for salt in the winter, but lots of moisture which is no good in any region. It can be done, depending on where one is located I'd just wash it thoroughly as much as possible, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, keep the body panel drains clean and clear from plugging up. Wash the underside, flush and use compressed air to keep the drains clear at all cost. That is what causes the most damage in these things.......wet moist buildup in the nooks and crannies sitting forever and then the metal starts to corrode almost out of nowhere. And keep a nice space cushion in traffic on the roads....Working on them and maintaining them is a simple as it gets and you could keep the thing on the road forever but for the nimrods out there and the moisture and unchecked buildup. Rolling Eyes 
    67Dodger
    67Dodger

Post by 67Dodger Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:56 pm

I have a 1931 Dodge engine block in the bed for traction.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 am

these ohio winters with all the salt is a killer on these old girls, i tuck mine away every winter, you can always find an old beater to run in the winter,,
    farrellsx6
    farrellsx6

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2013-03-07

Post by farrellsx6 Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 am

Mine's a daily. But I live in So-cal so harsh winters mean we got a little rain...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:13 am

I drive my 1982 chev van all winter usually in the past . Must have some weight in the rear -sandbags or something for weight!! Just be careful too!!affraid 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:55 am