VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Von Dutch was a van guy, too!

rustybug13
    rustybug13

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Von Dutch was a van guy, too! Empty Von Dutch was a van guy, too!

Post by rustybug13 Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Any of you guys seen this one before? I saw a small picture in Hot Rod or one of those magazines of this van. Freakin' Awesome!!
    http://rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=391363

Who ever got this one got it for a song. I really need to be on the ball more.Rolling Eyes 
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Von Dutch was a van guy, too! Empty Re: Von Dutch was a van guy, too!

Post by RodStRace Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:53 am

The auction of his stuff was pretty hyped.
    From what I've heard and seen, the prices went from sort of low to crazy high, depending on the item. The people that knew the legend felt many things went cheap. The people that knew the man and his stuff felt that the auction did pretty well splitting stuff up and selling off a lot of little items, but hurt real collectors bids because the stuff was so fragmented.

To me, 20K is not a song.
    Also, this is not on par with say Roth's Honda 600 from the same era.
    Von Dutch was a van guy, too! 73honda43672-1
    The van was done for Movie World, not Von Ducth himself. Roth also did a bunch of stuff for Movie World and Knott's, but the Honda was his personal car for getting around.
    The closest thing to that for Von Dutch is the bus. However, it takes up a lot more space and all the stuff inside was taken out an sold off. It's also not as visually interesting, it's just an old bus that was left to sit and lived in.
    Von Dutch was a van guy, too! 73376326.s9MKGUjT.070112_bj

rustybug13
    rustybug13

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by rustybug13 Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:08 am

Hey Rod, I'm totally right there with you.
    I would love to own that Honda of Ed Roth's (I would kill to own the VW Beetle he had before the Honda). But quite frankly anything that these two legends laid there hands on would be incredible to have. That's why I think that van went for cheap. The great condition it's in and that it has a ton of modifications done by Von Dutch, not to metion the pinstriping laid down by the man who made it popular.
    But your right Rod, this van wasn't for Von Dutch. But I gotta think that if he wasn't that in to the Econoline he wouldn't have spent so much time on things like the nose window for the dog, engine turning the hub caps, and all the pinstriping and paint. I'm sure he was paid for his work, but an artist like him or Ed Roth, if they get bored with it or aren't into it they finish and move on. I mean, as the story goes, Ed Roth was working for Movie World, painting signs and what not and one day Von Dutch just showed up in his bus/workshop/home and said "I'm going to hang out for awhile." So, like I said, I think it went for cheap.
    I don't mean to rant, but Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and Von Dutch are two of the greats for me.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:55 am

I saw the honda in person at the petersen museum once. it was horribly garish lol, but very well done. as is par for the course...of course. Smile I want his bus. and nobody would even believe it was his.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah, one of the times I went to the Peterson was for the Roth exhibit. Amazing stuff.

Von Dutch was an amazing artist in many mediums, but his personal demons tended to overshadow his work, especially later in life. That and the mockery of the boutique stuff after he passed kind of tainted his legacy. But the art shouldn't be diminished by the other stuff.
    A couple examples
    Von Dutch was a van guy, too! 1290121317007_the_great_von_dutch_auction_of_2007

Von Dutch was a van guy, too! 7657

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:40 pm