VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

blinker switch wire diagram

2345.coupe
    2345.coupe

Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2012-12-11

blinker switch wire diagram Empty blinker switch wire diagram

Post by 2345.coupe Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:05 pm

could you please post a diagram of a blinker (turn signal) column switch. I need to know what the wires go to. I've got the blinkers working, but I can get the brake lights to work. I don't know what color wire comes out of the blinker (turn signal) switch that charges,powers,the brake lights.......thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

blinker switch wire diagram Empty Re: blinker switch wire diagram

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:18 pm

My 66 book says the Red with Black stripe leaves the brake light switch and joins up with the Red wire going into the turn signal switch,,,,,,
    2345.coupe
    2345.coupe

Post by 2345.coupe Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:58 pm

donivan65 wrote:My 66 book says the Red with Black stripe leaves the brake light switch and joins up with the Red wire going into the turn signal switch,,,,,,
    thanks man, I'll try it the first thing tomorrow morning and let you know how I made out......
    neondv8
    neondv8

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2012-04-04

Post by neondv8 Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 pm

I was having problem with my brake lights turn signals. I replaced the cam and all works good now.
    2345.coupe
    2345.coupe

Post by 2345.coupe Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 pm

neondv8 wrote:I was having problem with my brake lights turn signals. I replaced the cam and all works good now.
    I'm not quite sure what a 'cam" is.
    well got one brake light working and when I step on the brake pedal the dash indicator for the signal light goes on. Then I just hook up the other side that brake light works and the other signal dash light indicator goes on..they both will not work together. So I'm thinking of splitting the wire to run both lights on one. Now, I might add the blinkers work fine, and lights work fine. Maybe I should get a new brake light switch?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:01 pm

The way the system works is the brake light sends a signal to the turn signal switch when you step on the brake pedal,,,,,,,the turn signal flasher sends another signal to the turn signal switch also,,,,,,the turn signal switch then decides what lights to turn on,,,,,,if you are going straight, and then step on the brake pedal, it turns on the rear brake lights,,,,if you switch the turn signal arm down to make a left turn, the turn signal switch automatically shuts off the left rear brake light and turns on the left rear turn signal,,,,,,,so the turn signal switch is the brains of the system,,,,,,see if the brake light switch is sending its signal up to the turn signal switch, then see if the turn signal switch is sending  signals to each   rear brake light,,,,,,its a matter of testing,,,,,,,,    
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:42 pm

If you have a test light or voltmeter, you can check those 7 wires coming out of the turn signal switch,,,,,2 are power in,,,,,,brake switch is probably red,,,,,turn signal flasher-blue,,,,,5 are power out,,,,horn is blue/yellow,,,,RF turn is-white/blue,,,,,LF turn is green/white,,,RR is green,,,,LR is yellow,,,,,,,your van might have the same colors,,,,but start at the turn signal switch,,,,,,see if the turn signal switch is sending out the correct signals at the correct time,,,,if so,,,,then you work your way out to the actual lights,,,,,,,
    2345.coupe
    2345.coupe

Post by 2345.coupe Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:19 am

donivan65 wrote:If you have a test light or voltmeter, you can check those 7 wires coming out of the turn signal switch,,,,,2 are power in,,,,,,brake switch is probably red,,,,,turn signal flasher-blue,,,,,5 are power out,,,,horn is blue/yellow,,,,RF turn is-white/blue,,,,,LF turn is green/white,,,RR is green,,,,LR is yellow,,,,,,,your van might have the same colors,,,,but start at the turn signal switch,,,,,,see if the turn signal switch is sending out the correct signals at the correct time,,,,if so,,,,then you work your way out to the actual lights,,,,,,,
    thanks donivan65 for the detailed description of the turn signal switch. I'll test the wires as you suggested and get back to you........

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:00 pm