VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
kookykrispy
SportVan
6 posters

Would Like Your Opinion on this Van - Thanks!

SportVan
    SportVan

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-06-13

Would Like Your Opinion on this Van - Thanks! Empty Would Like Your Opinion on this Van - Thanks!

Post by SportVan Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Hello - Got my eye on this 1964 Chevy HandiVan - 230 that smokes a bit, flywheel has some teeth missing affecting the starter once in awhile, 3 on the tree, side windows painted (need to razor blade the paint off) and don't open. Don't know the mileage. Has regular rims on it (rally rims removed and sold separately) and don't know the milage. Planning to hear it run sometime this Sunday. Here's a link of photos

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=5657f05d5f0899b0&sid=1BZs2LJsxaulA

He wants $2500 for it. What do you think?
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Would Like Your Opinion on this Van - Thanks! Empty Re: Would Like Your Opinion on this Van - Thanks!

Post by kookykrispy Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Looks like a great place to start. I see a nice van that is all original, but has typical rust in the rockers... The chrome bumpers are a big plus!

I say buy it!!! The asking price is fair, but try to get it for less $ because of the extensive rust damage... that takes alot of work to fix, and they re-pop some of those panels, but not all of 'em!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Would Like Your Opinion on this Van - Thanks! Empty Re: Would Like Your Opinion on this Van - Thanks!

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:55 pm

It is not a Handi-Van,,,,,,,,if you had pictures of the left side,  it probably is  a plain old panel van with windows like mine,,,,,,,lots of rust,,,,,not good,,,,,,,check the front floor, around the front windshield , and drip rails along the roof,,,,,those are the big money repair problems,,,,,,
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:12 pm

Start at 1500, all he can say is no and then it is up to you as to how much you want it. Question 
    Old Dirty
    Old Dirty

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2011-05-04

Post by Old Dirty Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:47 am

Looks alot nicer than what I've got, and if you can drive it home I'd say its a good deal.  I'm relatively new to vans, but in my old car experience the best buys are the ones that have problems that you know how to fix.... for example if you have body/paint skills then buy a good runner with some body issues that you can handle yourself and you'll end up with a nice vehicle for less $ than you could have bought it for.  Same goes for the engine/trans guys buying one with a nice body but *%#'ed powertrain.  Me I'm not particularly good at anything so I just keep a full beer cooler and an open mind!  rabbit  Looks nice enough for the asking price though, good luck if you go for it!!
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:20 am

Thank You for all the responses, comments, suggestions. Very much appreciated.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:25 am

$1000.00 max - way too much body work & rust repairs. Did u look under the rubber floor mats?? How about areas where the spring hangars meet the frame areas? For some fixable -for me -not! careful =way too much on asking price!affraid 
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Thank You, I passed on it. I also sold my 1965 SportVan and will remain vanless for the near future. Thank You to everyone that assisted me with my 65. In the end (as in rear end) I had it three weeks and was getting nowhere regarding the rear end issues so I sold it for a $1500 profit, moved on. Now, I'm the proud owner of a 1968 RS/SS Camaro. I'm getting it ready for the 28 September Street Nationals here in Springfield, MO. Thank You to the friends I made. I'm perusing the Camaro Club webpage these days. Laters!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:00 am