VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
jrinaman
gkpost
7 posters

Can't find a radiator

gkpost
    gkpost

Number of posts : 224
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

radiator - Can't find a radiator Empty Can't find a radiator

Post by gkpost Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Got 4 from autozone and they are all to big (36x24). So I went to the local auto supply and get the same , NO GOOD! My radiator is about 21x24 ish its at the auto parts store so I'm not sure. What size? Anyone have a part #? How much should this cost?
    Help. Thanks ~ GK
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

radiator - Can't find a radiator Empty Re: Can't find a radiator

Post by jrinaman Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:56 pm

i have a used one i can bring to nats. dont know if exact replacement is available, but plenty that are easily adaptable on ebay or summit racing. the top hose doesnt evan need to be the same location, chevy waternecks come in many designs to point to either side. actually have measurements on my desk, core is 19.5" wide and 22" to edge of flanges. 17.5" tall core and 22.25" overall. adding a taller rad wouldnt be much of an issue but width is 22" inside doghouse.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:29 pm

which radiator do you have,,,,,,,

radiator - Can't find a radiator Radz10
    Andyt
    Andyt

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2013-06-06

Post by Andyt Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:07 am

I pulled a down-flow from an 80's-90's BMW at the PicknPull - after a little convincing and re-bracketing, it fits great. If you have a tow yard near you, look for euro cars around that time.
    gkpost
    gkpost

Post by gkpost Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:27 am

Donivan I have the 6 cyl . is there a part #? Every time I've ordered ( 5 times now) I tell the parts guy 6 Cyl , standard shift ,67 chevy . They always get the bigger one and they show nothing for a smaller option.
    If you have a part # this is over. Or I'll do the bmw thing.
    Thanks for your help ~ GK.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:50 am

The radiator is the most important part on that van,,,,,,,so it better be good or you are in for a world of trouble,,,,,,those 2nd Gens come with 2 types of radiators,,,,,,,you cant get much cooler than one of those 4 row crossflows,,,,,,,but normally, people just go to a radiator shop and get their radiators recored,,,,,,slap your upper and lower tanks on a new center piece of core,,,,,I think yours is a CT5519,,,,,3 rows of tubes,,,,,but I think they just have a big hunk of core and cut a section to fit your tanks,,,,,,or people buy one of those Aluminum Hot Rod radiators and put them in,,,,,,,,

radiator - Can't find a radiator 2nd_ge11

radiator - Can't find a radiator Radiat10
    chasgas
    chasgas

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2013-06-05

Post by chasgas Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:22 pm

the mid sixties cougar radiator (brass, copper, 3 core/4 core for cougar v8 applications) is almost a direct fit... less than 150 from auto zone and others...

good luck,

chasgas
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:34 pm

best be watching inlet & outlet placements on anything on the G vans=v/s fords!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:15 pm

aint no big deal to move a hose outlet over if the price is right and a radiator fits,,,,,,
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Hey Don, been meaning to mention this to you. The guy at the buggie place in Oceanside, the other van he had was a 1st gen with a 2nd gen doghouse, a former V8 conversion. But he had put a 250 6 back in it. Anyway, it had an aluminum radiator in it meant for deuce coupe applications. It was narrow, sorta tall, and had a rounded top, so it would fit those roadsters. It was also thick so I figured it was a four core. It looked small, like it would drop into an early dog house real easy. Maybe it looked that way to me because it was a 2nd gen dogouse and they are wider in the front than a 1st gen? Ever seen anyone use an aftermarket deuce coupe radiator in an early van? This guy claimed it worked great.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:27 pm

1st Gen Sportvans have 2nd Gen downflow radiators in them,,,,,,they are 1 inch wider than a 1st gen panel one,,,,,,,they leave off the right side mounting strap,,,,,I have a 2nd Gen radiator in my 65 right now,,,,,,so the doghouse are the same,,,,,,except for the bump outs that go under the seats for the crossflow radiator,,,,and the width of the tubes and the amount of them will determine how thick the radiator is,,,,,any radiator that the hoses will fit will work somewhat as long as you get it to mount up,,,,,,,,,

radiator - Can't find a radiator 1st_ge12
    chasgas
    chasgas

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2013-06-05

Post by chasgas Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 am

if you google 64-66 chevy g10 radiator, several distributors show one from spectra... do not be fooled, it's 24 inches wide and will not fit... don't depend on "application", verify actual dimensions...

i took my original radiator to 3 shops... $360/$380/$420 (plus tax) to re-core it back to a 2 core... all 3 shops labeled it a "cheap" lackluster product... "why so much to renew it", was my question?.. i never asked what it would cost to improve it to a 3 core...

i found several universal fit aluminum radiators that would have worked but the costs were in the $300 and up range...

on one of the forums, a van owner said he used a 65/66 mustang radiator on his 66 chevy g10... required attaching two thin strips of metal to the sides of the radiator to bolt it into place... $135 plus tax, TOTAL... i bought it (autozone) and my heating problems are over... no scoop, no shroud and (so far) i've driven in city traffic, mid-80's... i also replaced the cap and t-stat...

the top inlet on the fords is on the passenger side... simply turn your gooseneck 180 degrees and shorten the hose...

i believe it was on the vintage chevy van club forum where i read the 67+ cougar radiator was wider than the mustang and nearly a direct fit for the generation 1 g10... these radiators have tighter spacing of the cores and the "webbing", are available in 3 and 4 cores and are an improvement from our original factory supplied radiators (my opinion)... unlike the aluminum, these brass and copper radiators also look "original"...  all at less than $150...

before i installed the new radiator, i stuck a garden hose down the t-stat opening and ran water through the block and the the heater core... about a teaspoon of rust,  a couple of solder pieces from the original radiator and mineral deposits ended up in the bucket placed as a "catch" under the lower hose... better in there than my new radiator...

the skill level required is extremely low..............................................

chasgas

another consideration is timing when dealing with overheating... my van was set at 16 degrees of advance at idle... a previous owner must have thought that each notch was equal to 1 degree (according to a friends chilton, each notch equals 4 degrees)... to compensate for a plugged radiator and severely mistimed engine, he decided to cut out the grille, remove the "scoop"... when this obviously failed, he sold the van...
    gkpost
    gkpost

Post by gkpost Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:30 pm

I just got off the phone with the guy who owns the parts store here in town. He thinks my radiator will be in Monday . I think he ordered me something form a ford, I know it's a two core I guess I'll see whats up when I see it. I like the idea of a 3 or 4 core. overkill is always better so that deuce coup radiator is sounding good. Any more thoughts? Anyone?
    Everything I've put into this van is rebuilt or new I don't want to cheap out now, and not with the radiator, So any advice ( good, bad, or other) is helpful.
    Thanks as always ~ GK.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:37 pm

I am thinking if you put a 3 or 4 row radiator in it, you will need a shroud to suck air through all those tubes,,,,,,a 3 would probably be OK with a good fan on the waterpump,,,,,,,,
    gkpost
    gkpost

Post by gkpost Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:06 pm

I was planning to make a shroud anyway so I will probably go for a 3 row.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:35 pm