VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
RodStRace
jkr
6 posters

maybe its there, could not find it

maybe its there, could not find it Empty maybe its there, could not find it

Post by Guest Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:32 pm

im curious about what the differences are between the years for our vans..
    i know some came with a v8 some had the /6.. are there any differences between the v8's and between the /6's used..
    dual master cylinder? body? wheel size? paint? maybe i am asking for a few pages of information but anything helps.. thanks
    (thing is that i saw that horn ring sold on ebay that said "special for 68-70 models".).
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

maybe its there, could not find it Empty Re: maybe its there, could not find it

Post by jkr Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:41 pm

sportsman and custom sportsman models had the horn ring. as bad as i want one i just can't see ever giving that kind of cash even for n.o.s. part. the high line sportsman models had the fancy dash trim that extended from the cluster bezel to the glove box door.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 am

I am new to these, so some of this may be wrong. Please correct any errors!
    Years are 1964 to 1970.
    While the vehicles evolved over the years as all do, this time frame had outside influences that mandated many changes too.
    64-66 are similar, single masters, single gas tank strap.
    In 1966, the gov’t got involved in cars. The Nader book and other external issues caused them to add standards for emissions and safety.
    By 1967, they had the dual master cylinder.
    By 68 they had the 2 tank straps. Cars had to have side markers. Our vans just had reflectors (Year?)
    1968-up also saw the crash pads on the dash. The door handles changed too. Early had one that was similar to the window crank, later ones were flat and pulled in from the face of the door.
    Trim levels were available, the wagons (seats and windows) were intended for family use and had fancy trim. The commercial stuff (cargo and display) was more plain.
    The 170 slant 6 was standard, the 225 slant 6 and the 273 and 318 V8s were optional. The 198replaced the 170 by 1970.
    Radios were optional. Heaters standard?
    3 speed manual was standard (745 or 903), Loadflite automatic (727) was optional.
    All had the 8.75 rear axle with 3.23, 3.55 or 3.91 ratio. Sur-grip was optional.
    There were at least 2 different suspension ratings. Considering the A108 Sportsman camper, there may have been more.
    Stabilizer bar in front was an option.
    The suspension packages may have been grouped. I haven’t seen an order sheet or many brochures yet.
    Tire sizes ranged from 6.50-13 to 8.15-15 in the manual I have.

More info
    http://www.allpar.com/trucks/vans.html

I have not found any manuals online but there is one Sportsman brochure
    http://dodgea100.webs.com/1967sportsmana100.htm

Here are paint codes.
    http://www.mymopar.com/paintcodes.htm

As for the fancy dash trim, I think it went away with the crash pad. The trim goes over the area where the pad bolts to the dash.
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by 69 a 100 Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:21 pm

i have a sportsman and mine doesnt have the horn ring but it does have the crash pad
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2009-12-22

Post by SnarkyPoet Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:15 pm

I have the original order sheet and brochure for my '66. I'll try to make some time to scan and upload it. It details all of the options available, trim levels and whatnot.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:19 pm

I think the dual pot master cylinders were a mid-year deal. With them came the peddle activated brake light switch (vs the pressure switch).

The switches moved from the bottom of the dash to the top and the heater controls got squished to the right away from the driver's knee. Four ways came around later on, as did back-up lights.

I believe there are several automatic shifters. The 64s and 65s had a separate cable for the parking pawl.

The operable rear windows went frameless at some point.

The 273 has mechanical lifters (my parts van has the media oil filter).

I don't know when they gave up on the ball and trinions for good old u-joints.

If you look under Nate the Skate's profile/posts, I'm sure you can find a post where he went into great detail about all the differences in various A's though the years.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Sat May 01, 2010 7:26 pm

mine is a 66 sportsman and also doesn't have the horn ring, i keep seeing them on ebay but i still haven't made a decision on where i want to go with the steering wheel much less the interior, i wish the 66 model would have come wiith the dual master cylinder and know that will be a future conversion.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 am

itruns, can you get a link? I can't find it....
    A few other things
    Early have a raised edge on the lock cylinders, later are more flat.
    Throttle linkage vs cable? The 68 also had a little shield around the throttle behind the grille. Crash protection?
    I have heard that the vent window frames are different.
    Seat mounts: Early pins in front, clips in back. Later have bolts in back.
    Seat belts and mirrors were phased in around 65-66 in cars. Vans?
    Bolt-in doghouse center support rod vs permanent side support rod
    Dash speaker mounting; later has screws through the face of the dash (maybe my early didn't have a speaker?)
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sun May 02, 2010 8:28 am

Here are the topics Nate posted in:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/search.forum?search_author=nate+the+skate

Die Hard vanner. Won $500 at an van-in once. Some dude's van broke down and Nate gave him the money to rent a U-haul to get it home.

He's good friends with Brian and between the two of them, I don't think there is anything there is anyone who knows more about our A's, except maybe for TerenceJiminy (the owner of the Yahoo Group). Very Happy
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/search.forum?search_author=terencejiminy
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sun May 02, 2010 8:33 am

Forgot about that. Side support is great until you want to remove the driver's side panel, but leave the hood up.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun May 02, 2010 8:46 am

I've seen the name, and he gives all indications of an intelligent guy with a lot of experience! cheers
    It's great to have that kind of brain trust!
    I've been a Mopar guy for life and know a little, but I'm new to these vans so it's a whole new learning experience, which is great. I'm constantly picking up something new. As I said, please correct any errors I've made, I'm no expert!

I just couldn't find a post on the differences.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sun May 02, 2010 8:53 am

itruns wrote:

Forgot about that. Side support is great until you want to remove the driver's side panel, but leave the hood up.

Yeah, I like the center rod better due to the ability to remove and the access from both sides.
    The other one in comparison seems like a decontent (stuff where the factory made things simpler/cheaper as time went on).

A lot of these things are stuff I've noticed between the 66 van I'm doing and the 68 parts truck I took apart. Others are from the books and postings I've read. I'm sure that the guys that have torn into them for years could triple this list without even scratching the noggin.
    Laughing
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sun May 02, 2010 9:27 am

Sorry, I know we've had discussions about changes over the years.

I'll try to do some looking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 am