VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Donn
Twinpilot001
dix
VanninBlaino
8 posters

A's G's & E's Pros & cons

A's G's & E's Pros & cons Empty A's G's & E's Pros & cons

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Looking for an early van project. I dont want to spend to much but am willing to put in time. I have a few questions to base my decision on. Which vans parts are most common? (cheapest). Which engine and tranny combo has the least worries? Do these vans make good daily drivers? Anything I should know? Great forum. Thanks in advance!
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-05-30

A's G's & E's Pros & cons Empty Re: A's G's & E's Pros & cons

Post by VanninBlaino Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Of my exeperience, most of these vans are very much the same. Buying which model you want and how much ease it is to find parts comes with how well you know the brand. I have a Dodge. My family, including me, are chevy guys. I just found a really good shape dodge van that I could not pass up. Plus, I love the looks of the dodges, but i wanted a 1st gen chevy window, which are semi hard to find. With that said, to me with knowledge about chevys, I'd say the chevy vans are are "easiest" to find parts for. More parts ae interchangabke between trucks I beleive. Such as the tailights with a 67-72 C10 I think, the gauges of a 1st gen with a nova, etc. also on chevys, small block v8 mounts are almost all the same I believe. But if you like the dodges or fords, buy one. You'll find what you need with no issues. It just takes a little more searching. Almost everything is made for a SBC as far as engines go. All these vans have there little quirks and each one has parts that cause a problem or are hard to find or you have to make. I know econolines are becoming very popular, and I dont know much about fords. This is just my viewpoint though. Do i regret my dodge? Never! Do I want a chevy van? Always will!

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 pm

I am looking at getting a window van also. The dodges have the great body lines, fords have the great front headlight grills. Chevys have that great utilititarian all buisness look. I plan on taking the best available when i decide to buy. For now I will read forums and look at pictures.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:02 pm

I 'm going to say there is more fords then any , They started in either 1960 or 1961, Dodge and Chevy started in 1964 ,Then Chevy made the 2nd gen in 1967 , But Dodge and Ford did not change body styles, Now i can't speak for the chevy's and fords I've only owned dodge vans. Maybe i'm wrong but I beleive any thing Dodge engine cost more than Chevy and Ford..My honest oppion is find the one that has the best body !!!!!! motors, trannys rear-ends and brakes shouldn't be a big deal. Orlet your heart tell ya.. If you find one post it here and we will tell you what we see. ctay away from rust at the roof / gutter line..... good luck in your search.

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Only comes down to personal preferences in what van one builds. cheers 

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:23 pm

I've noticed there are definitely a lot more Fords. It seems like the Dodges came in more configurations and have that awesome pop-top roof option/conversion.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:26 pm

The camper tops are neet . and more room .I'm thinking most camper tops would need new fabric .

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:30 pm

It is why people prefer them that I'm looking for. What do you like about your vans twinpilot?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:33 pm

The Ford camper makes no sense. You can only stand in one spot. Or was it originally just for sleeping? It's kinda interesting but not the smartest idea.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:47 pm

It is why people prefer them that I'm looking for. What do you like about your vans twinpilot?
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:04 pm

These vans are all pretty easy to work on, not to complicated. Get whichever make you like or look for the best available for the money you want to spend. I would say the most important and most expensive repair will be body work. Buy the cleanest , least rusted van you can find!
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Daily driver?

Sure, why not?

They were all daily drivers when new, there is no reason that a properly maintained early can't be a daily driver.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:32 pm

They all have there goods and bads, Fords more parts out there. Chevy's cheaper to build engines. And many parts interchange. Dodges seem to be the most $$$ to build
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Which vans parts are most common? (cheapest).
    As said, all 3 are best bought as rust-free and complete as possible.
    A 500 dollar van is going to cost you more in the long run than a 2000 dollar van.
    Engine/trans- the cheapest will be the chevy, but it's radiators, gas tanks and brakes that will be the common repairs. Ford Mustang tanks can be reworked. The radiators and brake stuff is similar.

Which engine and tranny combo has the least worries?
    These vans are pretty simple. You can buy a V8 auto in any of them and if it's in good shape, all will be reliable. Go with what you or your mechanic is comfortable with. Try to avoid the 3 on the tree manual transmissions if you are not familiar with them and the early Ford auto. More common problems with all of them are steering, suspension, wiring and other stuff that is worn and ignored. Asking about which engine/trans has the least worries indicates a lack of knowledge of 318/727s, 327/PGs and 289/C4s. Are you able to afford a fully sorted van, all the repairs needed or do it yourself?

Do these vans make good daily drivers? Anything I should know?
    They are 40+ year old commercial vehicles whose primary purpose was local delivery. Most would require more maintenance than normal due to neglect and age. Once fully sorted, they require more frequent servicing than a modern car. They also lack modern comforts, ease of use and crash protection. They can easily do daily driver routines provided your route isn't mostly freeways over 65 MPH, but the DRIVER must be willing to pay more attention to road conditions and operating the van, suffer more noise and heat, and keep up on maintenance.

Just like any 1960s car or truck, they can be used as a commuter, but if that's the main reason for the purchase there are a lot of more modern vehicles for the same money that will perform Basic Transportation Unit (BTU) functions better.

The fans here like these vans for many different reasons, from nostalgia and simplicity to being different or as advertisement. Almost all of them would agree that if your only reason to buy an early van is to commute and you are not mechanically inclined, it's probably not the best choice.

They are great fun, but not for everyone.

vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:40 am

Wow, very well put.

Yeah- you do need some 'fabrication skills' at times to keep an early on the road.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 am

So would most everyone agree that a v8 auto transmission is important? I just want something that is rust free and running. My personal daily driver only needs to go about 5 miles a day and to the beach once a week. I currently drive a 2005 trailblazer that i am contantly working on. I should be working on something I love instead of a awfully built SUV. Reliability is very important to me once I get a car tuned in. I had previosly considered air cooled VW vans. (too expensive up front). Water cooled Vanagans. (only reliable with engine swap). I am almost looking for reasons not to buy one of these but they seem in line with my budget and ability. I also like the idea of "saving" a beautiful piece of America. The econolines seem the smartest for me, but the chevy is a close second if I can find a good one. Thanks everyone, please keep the info coming.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:01 am

V8 is nice, but in a Chevy the 250 CI six will haul the van around just fine. Not sure on the smaller sixes- no personal experience there. The '3 on the tree' is dependable, but after almost 50 years of use is going to need attention- and parts are somewhat difficult to source. The trans itself isn't the issue- it's the linkage and column shifter bushings. An automatic will have less wear and tear on the linkage.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:58 am

Great info. Someone mentioned to me that if you have a 3 on the tree most people can't steal your car. Ha! I've never driven one. Are the automatics usually more expensive to buy?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:07 am

for a daily driver if you find one with a good running 6 , keep it
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:01 am

I agree with G-Man and vanner. The A's 225 (not so much the 170), the G's 250 and the E's 200/240 (not so much the 170) will all work fine IF your top speed is lower and you aren't pulling hills (doubtful in FLA). They are more obsolete compared to the V8s, but most parts are available and they are easier to work on. They also are easier to keep cool due to less blockage of the doghouse airflow. The Dodge shines here on V8s, since the doghouse sides unbolt for servicing.

I know that my first post came off as a bit harsh, but your questions, while fair and good, came off as a bit uninformed. I wanted to explain as best I could to a new person what the abilities and limitations are without sugar coating it. We all get a bit starry-eyed when looking at something new and interesting. We all started out not knowing much about these vans. I'd rather be upfront about the unique features they share than to gloss over things that could cause you to regret buying one.
    A short commute and beach cruising is great. You will have to try to find one that is rust free and keep up on cleaning and sealing to prevent the salt air from attacking it. I'd suggest applying bedliner on the floor so sand and salt water don't collect and rot it. Rubber mats or carpet will just collect and hide this.
    An Econoline with a 200 and 3 on the tree will be just as fun (provided the linkage and trans are good) as a Chevy 327 and 'glide. Both will spin the tires with a little effort, especially with sand on the street. Both will be warm and noisy, both will not stop or handle like most of the vehicles it's sharing the road with, but so long as you understand that, a southern coastal climate is pretty easy for them to live in. It doesn't have salted roads, snow and ice or steep terrain.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 am

No problem rodstrace I am uninformed. I'm working on that by reading post and looking at pictures. I'm sure my knowledge will also improve when I have a specific one to learn about. Lots of good info guys!
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:23 am

Oh- there are a couple things we should know:

What are your mechanical skills?

Have you driven any type of van or panel truck before?

Have you driven an all-manual vehicle ? (Manual trans, brakes and steering)
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:30 am

Glad to help!
    You may want to check out local member's rides.
    All of them have similar seating and controls, so you should 'fit' in any of them unless you are way outside the normal range.
    All of them don't have power steering or power brakes except in rare cases, and all have under floor pivot brake and clutch pedals which are a bit different than most.

Tools required are pretty basic for most stuff. A manual is very helpful. Since you don't seem to mind which version you get, try to find the best one you can find.

Things to look for in rough order:
    Rust! - everywhere water can collect. Usually roof rails, floors and the bottom edges and wheelwells.
    Body damage - body and paint is one of the most expensive things to get done. Nice vans reflect this. If you don't mind a ratty appearance, this is an area where you can save money but will also affect resale.
    Brakes and suspension - all are drum brakes. 1967 started dual master cylinders. Most vans have tired old components and many shops are not experienced in much more than parts replacement. They can be made to stop well, but require knowledge and a bit of adjustment. The suspension is dead simple but often neglected.
    Steering - Often worn and sloppy. Some shops can rebuild, check threads on each model. No new replacements for the steering box/column.
    Wiring - often close to the end of useful life even without modifications and poor repairs. No direct replacements, but aftermarket kits can be installed.
    Radiator and gas tank - both often require cleaning or repair in lower priced vans. Some require replacement.
    Drivetrain - engine, trans, driveshaft and rear axle may all need attention, but are fairly simple and repairable. As mentioned, the manual shifters are usually worn and sloppy after all these years. Requires restoration quality repair work.
    Gauges, lights, seats, handles, locks - these should be checked. Each can be swapped/repaired, but take time and effort to fix or find suitable replacements.

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:51 am

THERE ISNT A DAY THAT GOES BY I DONT THINK ABOUT MY VAN, ITS TRUELY A LOVE AFAIR, WHEN YOU FIND YOURS YOU'LL KNOW ITS THE ONE FOR YOU, JUST LIKE FINDING A WOMEN,,, YOU MUST GO THROUGH ALL THE BRAKES FIRST AND DO A DISC BRAKE CONVERSION IF ITS NOT BEEN DONE ALLREADY, I REPLACED EVERYTHING ON MINE THAT HAS TO DO WITH THE BRAKES, DONT TAKE CHANCES WITH YOUR BRAKES,, !!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:54 am

My mechanical skills are limited to replacing parts really, but do have support from friends and tools. I am familiar with full manual cars. I drove a 66 and 72 beetle. Not a manual van. I have driven modern vans but not older. I'm not thinking it is gonna be like driving a new car. I am becoming an old man and need a project so I want to be spending my night sanding till 3am. I fully understand it takes effort. Great response again. Just the info I need.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:50 pm