VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Door Lock Option???

Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Door Lock Option??? Empty Door Lock Option???

Post by Das Boot Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 am

Yesterday, my son and I were working on a set of spare doors - grinding paint and rust, removing old weatherstripping, etc...  I was finishing up the driver's side door when I happen to look up at the passenger side and was marked by how all the door locks seem to lose their spring loaded cover.  I then looked down at the one I was working on and noticed it didn't have a door lock.  There wasn't even a hole for it.  Looking at the inside, it doesn't look like something someone has done to it.  So, my question is - was this an option?  I know they were made during simpler times, but I still would have thought it would come with a keyed lock for the door.  Thanks in advance...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Door Lock Option??? Empty Re: Door Lock Option???

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:19 am

I dont know about the econos/fords -yet the Gm trucks built in years before late 50's did not have any  visible door locks on the drivers sides-had to lock drivers door =from inside  thru pass seat areas & then lock from the outside  pass door lock cyl.!!  drivers locked thru handle mechanisn inside.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Early Econolines, 61-62 didn't come with the drivers door lock. It was an opition. It was once a bad thing to exit in traffic. The driver was to exit the curb side of the vehicle. Watch old Andy Griffith shows. Andy always scooted over at the courthouse. The law has kinda been relaxed a bit. LOL.

Duane in Tennessee.
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Post by Das Boot Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Glad I wasn't going crazy or witnessing some of the best sheet metal work ever.  I'm thinking that instead of drilling a hole for lock to cover the passenger side and go with a wireless/actuator setup seeing that they cost about the same and it looks cleaner.  Thanks for the info!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:27 pm