VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Joe Van
G-Man
SportVan
7 posters

1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage

SportVan
    SportVan

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-06-13

1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage Empty 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage

Post by SportVan Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Greetings. I previously owned a 66 Chevy SportVan in the 80s. Lost it to an accident, bummer. Now I have a 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe. My mechanic pulled the axles and they are pretty scarred, bearings shot. I'm looking at an axel kit from Summitracing.com (SUM-700115) that includes 1541 H alloy steel axels, press in wheel studs, bearings and seals for $219. The ring and pinon is pitted but salvagable. I have the 10 bolt rear with side hole and 336 or 363 gears whichever is the right number. I need to know whether I have a GM 8.2 or a Dana 44 rear end. Mechanic said it'd be nice to just swap out the rear end. What other rear end is compatible without welding, modifying brackets, etc. I could spend $50 on new bearings and whatever $$ to extend the axel off the worn spots, but I really don't mind the assurance of the $219 Kit as a good investment. What would you do? Thanks!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage Empty Re: 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage

Post by G-Man Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Welcome!!! to VV
    SportVan
    SportVan

1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage Empty Re: 1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage

Post by SportVan Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Thank You!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:36 am

WELCOME to VV!!!! SportVAN You most likely have a 8.2 rear end you will have to measure the ring gear. I had a dana 44 in my 4x4 Chevy van and that is a 1 ton 8 lug rear end that will have to be highly modified to fit in a early ( too wide) plus your rims wont fit either. You can use the axle saver bearings witch relocates where the bearing rides on the axle but they are only temporary they last only about a year. The best thing to do is fix what you have.Smile Order 2 new axles 2 bearings and 2 outer seals. that’s the right way and your cheapest way out and they will last another 47 years.cheers.. GOOD LUCK...........JOE VAN.....
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:16 am

Thank You Joe Van, especially about the axle saver not lasting long. If one can go by Differential Identification charts then I don't have a dana 44. It looks more like the C8.25 or as you say, 8.2. I'm getting ready to call Reliable Chevrolete to see if they can tell me EXACTLY, based on my Vin Number. I used to have a Toll Free Chevy Number that sent out packets of anything and everything known about any particular Chevy for restoration purposes. Anything like that still available that you know of?

Thanks again for the welcome and the info. Nice lookin' ride! I'd paint mine Red except for the fawn and white interior. Good Day to You!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:36 am

YOU ARE WELCOME we at VV are always glad to help some one out when we can. I called my auto supply where house and they said car quest auto parts has the bearings and seals the axels are a different story you may have to pull them out and measure the length and count the splines on the end. I am sure summit racing can cross the numbers over. My 1966 chevy nova has the same rear end so maby a small bolt GM car axel is the same a chevelle,camaro,nova s10 pick up, call summit racing and see what they say. The dealer is the last resort. (Big Bucks).If You cant find any PM me and I will see if I can find a pair through my parts guys here in Florida. I will just need the vin # good luck...JOE...
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Thank You again for your kind reply. I spoke with the mechanic that looked at the Van (avoided saying my rear end) and he suggested perhaps looking to update the rear end becuase 1) Axles need replaced 2) ring and pinon pitted 3) cap bolts rusted 4) bearings shot 5) spyder gears worn SURPRISE!!!!

Now I'm looking for the whole enchilada. Hoping someone can suggest a replacement or updated rear end housing and all the goodies so I can start enjoying my new ride. What a way to start off! From one Joe to another, Thanks!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:27 pm

I have used the wider bearings that correct for worn bearing areas on the GM axles =several times!! never had any problems at all- years of use also! Now il say this also - complete rear end assemblys are everywhere for these older  gm vans. Look for what ever axle ratio you need and a posi-traction unit to boot!! Usually under  GM vans  thru 80's =all leaf Spring types too.You may have to relocate ?? the spring pad mounts -yet im not sure of that? Maybe a bolt in unit also? I have a 1982 chev van That will become a parts source in near future & i am planning on saving that rear end assm. Measure the c-to-center distance on the spring mounts & call the salvage yards. Likely someone here  has done that swap also & will  advise on that .Happy Vannin!!cheers
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Sportvan: welcome to this site. The 64 to 66 G10 vans came with  corperate 10 bolt, Its possible some 1st gens came with the 12 bolt I'm not sure. The 67 to 70 G10s had both 10 and 12 bolts.

I have done a bunch or research on this trying to find a good replacement. The only rear end that will fit your van without mods and welding will be a 64 to 66 G10 van rear end. The 67 to 70 has wider leaf spring pads. Start looking for a parts van to get a good rear end out of. maybe somebody is parting one up.
    I agree with your mechanic, too much $$$ to fit yours.

I put a 1980 GM 8.5" 10 bolt from a Camaro into my 65, it is 1.5" narrower and much welding modification. The worst part is the pinion is not centered to the transmission giving me a compound drive line angle. very hard to keep all vibrations away.
    The van engine is offset an inch to the right. The van rear end is made to match that.

I find the rear end in my van to be too heavy (un sprung weight) and the possi is too much for the short wheel base. I get wheel hope every corner no matter how slow I go.

Knowing what I know now I recommend stay with the factory rear end and gear it up to what you want.
    My next 90" van will not be possi.
    1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage Dscn0410

can't seem to remove this wrong image??

1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage Dscn0110

notice the 3/4" spacers

1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage 00211

I did go to 1/2 thread in studs because I like to beat on the gas

1965 Chevy SportVan Deluxe Rear End Damage Axle_010

M1D

Last edited by m1dadio on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong image)
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:24 am

What is the difference between the 10 bolt and the 12 bolt and why do you guys like the 10 bolt better?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:23 am

I'm on my 3rd season with the repair bearings. No problems yet. 12 bolt is a beefier ring and pinion, Stock ratios for it were 3.73 and 4.11 I believe in the vans. The 10's may open you up to other ratios easier.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:03 am

OK I am sure that some of you that have used the axle saver bearing have had no problem.I understand under normal driving conditions most of the time you will not have any problem. I on the other hand have installed hundreds of them in the 32 years in our Automotive business we own here in Florida and have ONLY used them  IF we could not find axles or the customer does not have the money for a axle. I have installed them in cars and trucks years ago some with with no problem at all. But the majority of the ones only last a year or so as I have warranty out many defects. I have had them leak gear oil, I have had them pull out of the housing, and I have had them wear out and do more damage than the original bearing did, They were never intended as a permanent repair. Unless you cant find or afford a new axle I would highly recommend NOT to use them unless you have no choice you guys may have had luck with installing a couple of them here and there but I have I stalled hundreds of them and 75% of them come back for warranty work with in a year or so and wind up having to buying a axle anyway especially in trucks and conversion vans that carry weight or tow a trailer this is my opinion only and was trying to save a new member problems down the road. I will say it again his best bet is to rebuild the rear that is in the van strip it to the housing and put all new bearings seals and ring and pinion and spider gears,and axles, it will be a lot less aggravation than trying to modify a rear that was intended for a car. A 3rd gen Chevy Van rear end is about 4 1/2 in wider than a 1st Gen rear and the spring mounts have a 3 inch difference in width also as I have 2- 3rd Gen Chevy’s and a 1st Gen a GMC and just went out the garage to measure them both so that’s out of the question .I do not want to start a heated discussion about this but this is my experience with axle saver bearings.Smile.Smile..cheers..JOE...

Last edited by JOE VAN on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 am; edited 2 times in total
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:08 am

Thanx joe i stand corrected on the read on  later erar end widths . I have yet used several sets of the "fixer" bearing sets over the years -and i must say never ever did have any trouble with any leaks -yet i did  make sure the axles wernt very bad also & i was in the auto repair buisness for years & as we all know -dont want anything coming back to bite us ever!! Just a different situation when we  all mostly are doing our own repairs to these vans. I know for a fact here in my areas  most all shops are charging $100.00 bucks an hour &  I can see most all people cant even think about  repairing their cars  under those conditions  and especially  the  vans we usually have & enjoy as hobbies!! Yet there are some people around  that  dont have the mechanical expertise to do everything  some of us can & thats  why were all here to help & give hopefully some advise to all Hope we all can help from time to time -Happy Vannin to all!!!!!!!!!!!!cheers
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:38 pm

You got no argument with me , considering them temporary is probably a good thing! Finding good axles that fit in the van rears tho is kinda almost impossible. What's the going rate for having axles made that would fit?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 am

Sorry about the delay Joe I was changing my heater hoses and noticed the intake manifold starting too seep so I had to pull the intake and replace the gaskets Sunday and last night and have been  preoccupied ever since painting and sanding. I have never had to have a axle made and they are not easily found as I thought I have been looking for something that will work. Until then I guess for now use the axle saver bearings to buy some time until me or someone here can figure out where or how to get theses axles I did not realize how hard they are to find and so far nothing else will work I will keep my gears turning and try to figure out something hopefully soon........JOE......................UPDATE cheers.......I just got of the phone with Moser Engineering in Portland Indiana and told them whats going on he said they will make a set of custom axles for $370,00 a pair. My friend Erin at Bi Low Machine shop said they can not repair a axel like a crankshaft becuase of the risk of breaking and the welding weaking the axle so I guess its start saveing for some new ones.Smile.I know there costley BUT it will solve a big issue for these Earlyes and they are Brand New and twice as strong as the origionals.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 pm