VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Easiest way to get non opening windows out of a door?

Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Easiest way to get non opening windows out of a door? Empty Easiest way to get non opening windows out of a door?

Post by Dawgboy Tue May 14, 2013 10:08 am

So I havea couple of pop outs I want to install in my side doors, which have non opening glass in them. Anybody have suggestions on the best way to remove the old glass without using a brick? If at all possible, I would like to save the rubber, which is still in great shape.

Thanks
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Easiest way to get non opening windows out of a door? Empty Re: Easiest way to get non opening windows out of a door?

Post by Gothboy Tue May 14, 2013 10:10 am

I can help ya do it if need be. I got alot goin on this weekend, but If youre up my way, we can have them out and the new ones in in about an hour. Smile Its pretty easy, you just gotta be real careful.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Easiest way to get non opening windows out of a door? Empty Re: Easiest way to get non opening windows out of a door?

Post by Dawgboy Tue May 14, 2013 10:25 am

Also, wanted to add... Gothboy saw my rear windows and was very surprised by them. They are pop outs, but have a frame and different hinges than any he, or I have seen. I am going to replace them with the standard ones to match the front doors, but was curious... Are these a rare A100 window, or were they add-ons from something else?

Easiest way to get non opening windows out of a door? 4b5z

Whole mess of pics here if you want to inspect:
    http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=aTokU7VTrA93rKrKVepwTQ%3D%3D
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Post by Dawgboy Tue May 14, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks for the offer GB, I am staying local as my hunny is graduating from SDSU this weekend and we have her family in from Gary Indiana.

I figure a sharp knife on the inner edge would do it, but I'm willing to bet somebody has a better method...
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed May 15, 2013 5:49 am

Ah thats right. Congtratulate her for me! Smile As far as the sied windows, peel the rubber back and lube it up good, then just CAREFULLY use a prying device (like those plastic door panel tools) and GENTLY work your way around the rubberpushing the window and rubber outward. Get a foothold, place the second tool in place to hold the gap. move along a little, get a foothold, and place a third tool in to hold the gap. Move along a little, get a foot hold, and slide the third tool to the new location, extending the gap you already have. slowly, carefully, and gently go around the whold thing and it'll come out! Easy peasy japanesey!
    Smile
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed May 15, 2013 6:37 am

I've seen both styles; the more common one that is frameless with 'buttons' at the 2 top hinges and at the pop out arm, and the ones with frames that have the hinges and pop out welded to the frame. I "think" the framed ones are earlier, but not positive.
    As for removing the solid ones, Gothboy has it. Work around from the inside, working the rubber lip away from the door flange so it's loose and can be pushed out with the window.
    The rubber will NOT work with the pop outs. It also helps to have a section of vacuum hose or rope the right size to hold the lip out along each side and top as you work it out. Once to have the top and one corner lip worked down, the window will start to come out. Just keep carefully pushing the window and work the lip away from the flange.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Post by Dawgboy Wed May 15, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks for the suggestion on how to get them out. The van is a '64, so that matches... Anybody want a set of steel frame early pop=outs? One latch is busted, but otherwise, they are fine. Probably going to yank them out in a couple weeks, first I am going to do the side doors though...
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon May 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Those windows look like the ones I have.

Easiest way to get non opening windows out of a door? IMG-20111023-00073

The fixed window rubber should fold down from the inside of the door and you can gently work the window, with gasket still attached, out of the hole.

This is the pop out window gasket I used on mine:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3438/=c28rpt

McMaster Carr part number 1120A131 $1.65 per foot.
    rustyspoke66
    rustyspoke66

Number of posts : 180
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by rustyspoke66 Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 am

Let me know, I could use a set of early popouts for my 65. I have a set of nice non-framed popouts for trade if that helps.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:29 pm