VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Horn problemma

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Horn problemma Empty Horn problemma

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:53 pm

My horn stopped working a few weeks ago. I cannot tell you how many times I've needed it (more than any other vehicle ever!) Since we don't stop or dodge so fast, a horn is as important as my brakes.

Where do I start to figure out the problem? Worked one day and then it didn't the next. Photo, please, Don if you have one.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Horn problemma Empty Re: Horn problemma

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:37 pm

The circuit starts at the Black wire coming down from the turn signal switch into those 2 curved connectors,,,,touch that wire to ground,,,,,,IF the horn works,,,,the problem is up at the steering wheel,,,,,if it dont,,,,,unplug the connector on the relay and put battery to the dark green wire,,,,,that should make the horn work,,,,,,so go get some more clues so I don't have to write a book about this ,,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:00 am

12 V direct to the horn contact (actual horn!!) do it work>???? Sad
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:35 am

Thats why he is putting 12 volts to the dark green wire,,,why pull the bellypan when you can just reach over to the horn relay and jump the wire off the screw on the relay??? If the horn won't work from there, THEN go down to the horn.....
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:05 am

The problem is either the horn itself, or the circuit sending power to the horn.

I just went through this on my '65. I gathered up all my spare horns from the parts vans I had and tested them all on a new battery. Only two horns out of 6 that I had were good. The rest were junk and did not make any noise, so they went in the trash.

The horn must make a good ground to the frame. With the horn off the vehicle, make sure the bracket is ground to bare metal, and hold that to the negative terminal of your battery. Connect a jumper wire from the horn contact to the positive side of the battery. It should sound. If there is no sound, the horn is junk. Hit the junkyard for another one.

If it does make sound, re-install it on your van and then you know the problem is in the switch, relay or wiring and you can start troubleshooting the electrical circuit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:43 pm