VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

170 header gasket issues

twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2013-01-02

170 header gasket issues Empty 170 header gasket issues

Post by twinlinemoto Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:17 pm

So I have a 170 in my van with a clifford exhaust port divider and an old clifford 6-1 header. I have never had a gasket that would hold up for more than 6 months! I tried the hooker gaskets first, nothing. Then I tried the clifford ones, first one failed because I didnt soak it. 2nd one failed because I didnt keep torqueing it after every drive, and the third one failed because of a combo of the first two while I had some head gasket issues. Does anyone have a better way that works for them that I can try? Thanks!
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

170 header gasket issues Empty Re: 170 header gasket issues

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:19 pm

You might be better off with no gasket. Some factory manifolds come that way. We used a belt sander to make the surfaces flat and some copper coat gasket sealer and that worked better than the gasket blow out but it still leaked a little. We could never get the port divider to shut up. If I ever go that route again I will go no gasket and weld in the divider.
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 am

I just had the head off to weld in the divider, if it comes loose again Im getting rid of it!
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Post by 66ThunderVan Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:56 am

I don't know if I would go that far but it does pi$$ you you off a bit! Good luck!
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Does anybody else have some header fitting suggestions for me? Id like to run a gasket and not have any leaks. Im not asking the world am I?
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:14 am

Well Im going to try the classic inlines gasket, its cheaper and I havent tried it before. Ill keep you posted.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:53 am

I always have used a gasket=some makers are a thicker type also. With headders -u must always check the bolts being tight!! Part of having headders!! Heat & vibration will always make the bolts loose. There are some headder bolts that have a lock tab or even a circlip to keep them from moving9get loose) I have also used bolts -hardened! that have a ="safety wire " hole in the end-& safety wired them togerther . Yes its a pain yet if we want ="Headders"?? its just something we live with! I also will add only the =factory type -exhaust manifolds are "machined" for flatness & trueness - usually never needing any gasket.
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:25 am

Thanks, so I put the classic inlines gasket in and got it running again. This gasket is about 1/3 the thickness of the clifford one, but its not made of paper, so it doesnt smell nearly as bad when youre running! I still cant get it to seal. All bolts are as tight as I can get them given their locations (which is still pretty tight) but I hear it spitting out all over. Any other ideas I should try?
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Post by 66ThunderVan Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:51 pm

If it is still leaking you might have to send the head and mani to the machine shop and have them both surfaced. This is a last resort because of the work and expense but might be the only way to seal them up. JMHO

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:42 pm