VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Just Need To Vent!

Just Need To Vent! Empty Just Need To Vent!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:06 pm

driving home tonight, 6:30 pm, very dark and cloudy night, running more or less the speed limit, there was a big truck pulling a trailer almost stopped in the road, making a right turn. There were no taillights or running lights to be seen. I saw it too late to stop fully, So I went for the shoulder of the road. As soon as the truck hit the wet grass, it stopped slowing down until I slammed into the side of the trailer.

The guy pulls off into a parking lot and comes to see about me, I tell him I'm OK and he looks around, then at his truck, leaves and goes over and plugs his lights in, they all come on. While he's doing this, a woman stops, tells me she saw everything, gives me her name and work number. She said if I need a witness to call her.

The cop gets there we both tell him our story, he asks the guy if the lights were on on the trailer and he says they were. I tell him again that the guy went over and hooked the lights up, the guy finally agreed but said I must have knocked the connection loose when I hit him. He said they were on when he left his job site earlier. His passenger wouldn't agree to either story. The cop calls the witness and she's not there, will not be in until tomorrow.

So, without a witness, I get charged with the accident! My first accident in over 35 years of driving. The cop told both of us that if my witness agrees that the lights were not on when I hit him, the charges against me will be dropped and placed on the other driver. So now I sit, with my terribly torn up truck, a 2006 Dakota, without even a door ding on it until tonight, with the truth in the hands of a complete stranger, and I won't know the outcome until at least tomorrow.

It bent the drivers door, tore the front fender and inner fender all the way off, the headlight, parking light, fog light and part of the front bumper cover are gone. I couldn't even drive it home. Who knows what else we'll find tomorrow in the light of day.

I'm steamed!

Rob

Just Need To Vent! Empty Re: Just Need To Vent!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Rob!
    Do not fear.
    If someone is well meaning enought to stop and offer you thier contact information as a witness, they will undoubtedly tell the truth when the police question them.
    It will be all right.

I am glad there is no one hurt!
    Your truck can be repaired, and you will in the end prevail.
    Thankfully there was a witness, and you have right on your side.
    Trust in the provedince that guided you through unharmed, and give those close to you an extra warm hug tonight.
    It is a good day.
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:16 pm

that sucks Rob. hopefully the witness is available tomorrow to clear the charges from you.
    i can attest to what a-holes people can be while driving, especially after my incident in september. i actually just got the witness reports and the guy who ran a red and hit me (and i think we all understand how close to dead i was) he actually states in the witness report how he had a green light AND he saw me speeding at him and he hit the gas to avoid me! obviously, i was stopped til i got a green and only reached 15 mph when he hit me. luckily there were handfuls of witnesses who said i had a green and he ran a red AND his insurance accepted liability so no one can argue the accident.
    i hope this clears up quick for you and that sucks about your truck, but you are not hurt so....best wishes.
    james
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 pm

Sorry to hear it Rob. Not the first time I have heard this story. About 10 years ago traveling from Italy to Munich, Germany we were plowed into by an Austrian gut and he claimed "we" had no taillights. One taillight was smashed but luckily the other still worked. Not quite the same as yours but the principles are still there and since you saw the A-hole go plug them in.... Well, you know. Sorry for the bad luck. Glad your ok.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Just Need To Vent! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:19 pm

Rob,glad you was'nt hurt.Sheet metal & plastic can be replaced,flesh & internals,not so easy.Limbs cannot be.
    It don't take but 15 seconds to plug up a pig-tail.Every driver is suppose to check lights on their walk around.Some of those jack-legs have the mind occupied somewhere else.Which ended up costing you a smashed truck.
    Hopefully your witness will come through for you.Shame you did'nt have a camera or a phone with a camera before the officer got there.
    If your witness comes through,and beings the guy changed his story,and not honest from the beginning,I'd let 'the the lawyers clen up all the details.'

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:31 pm