VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Joe Van
ndjarrett
6 posters

eBrake Handle Cable?

ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Number of posts : 357
    Registration date : 2011-05-01

eBrake Handle Cable? Empty eBrake Handle Cable?

Post by ndjarrett Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:17 am

Where can I find an eBrake cable that goes from the handle back to the lever? Mine snapped. I can find the ebrake cables that go from the lever to the brakes, but not the 1st piece. Is it possibly this Dorman Parking Brake Cables C92308 cable?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

eBrake Handle Cable? Empty E brake cable

Post by Joe Van Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Hello I Have the same problem I am trying to re hook up the Ebrake and am missing the front cable for my first GEN GMC and I cant find one. I am thinking get one from a 71-91 full-size Chevy van and use the one end for the lever and cut the other and re connect it with a cable clamp?? If you find more than one can you let me know. THANKS. ..................................JOEVAN................................................
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

eBrake Handle Cable? Empty Re: eBrake Handle Cable?

Post by ndjarrett Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Very Happy Will do
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Tie a knot in it if it is broken in the cable section,,,,,
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Post by ndjarrett Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Lol. I'm gonna pull it off tomorrow and see what it looks like. Gotta dude downtown Memphis made me custom throttle cables for my motorcycle when I put 16" apes on. Maybe he can make these too.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:38 pm

I found the correct part number over on vcvc.org

front e-brake cable

ac delco part number 18P2312

https://acdelcooutlet.com/index.php/durastop/18p2312.html

This is listed for 67-70 (2nd gen) vans, but I think they will work for 1st gen also
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Post by ndjarrett Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:49 am

Awesome! I just joined that site yesterday but haven't had much time to poke around.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

eBrake Handle Cable? Empty E brake cable

Post by Joe Van Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:51 am

Well I tried to order the cable unless I did something wrong it could not process my order it said try back later so I will keep trying a little Leary about the foreign writing tho but I don't have too many options thanks kool krispy and if it does not work on my first GEN I will sell it to ndjarrett now I am going to the virtual van run I need a break from reality. SEE YA ................JOE VAN...........................
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 am

I think the "Help" section at most of the big box parts stores and I'm sure most any parts store carries the "universal" cables which usually have the ball end crimped like factory and the other end with a screw on stop. Then after you're sure you've got just the right length just cut the unused end of the cable. All in case you can't get a stock cable in a reasonable time. Good luck!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

eBrake Handle Cable? Empty Emergency brake cable

Post by Joe Van Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks we do A lot of business with CAR QUEST AUTO and I never thought of them since it is just A cable with no housing. If they don't have it I am sure they can get it. The most important part is the ball that fits in the handle I will call tomorrow after I measure the length. Thanks Chevy Van Man 1 for the GOOD IDEA........JOE VAN..........
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:48 pm

I have the same problem, and I tried to get the Delco part. After a month, they finally tell me (can't remember vendor) that it is no longer sold by Delco. So, Don is probably joking about a knot but what I did was go to Home Depot and get the smallest cable clamps they had. I made a loop, then used all three clamps to make sure it was secure. Then I connected that to the bracket with a length of chain and a threaded link. It works for now. Mine was busted near the rear bracket. If yours is busted near the middle you might have to be creative to keep the clunky repair from interfering with other linkages under the van.

I plan to take the cable and handle in to a sail boat rigger as soon as I locate one (benefit of living near a harbor) and I'm sure they can duplicate the little ball and the threaded piece at the bracket.
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Post by ndjarrett Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:28 pm

I took mine to a Super Cycle here in Memphis and had him create the cable with the ball end. Then I just drilled a hole in a bolt to attach to the lever on the frame (just like a hand brake on a bicycle). But I still have the original end to the cable that I may try to drill out someday and reuse.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:29 pm

I aint joking about tying a knot in the cable,,,,,,when they stretch and you can't get enough adjustment anymore, you shorten the cable by tying a knot in it,,,,or, if it is broken, tie the pieces back together,,,,,or tie a small piece of chain on the end to replace the broken end,,,,,,all it has to do is pull the lever that the parking brake cables are hooked to.....just as long as the ball end that goes into the handle is good.
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Post by ndjarrett Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Lol! Well, unfortunately mine broke at the 1st wheel...knot would not work for me. Cool
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:27 pm

A couple of loops in the cable to shorten it sure makes sense but I wouldn't have thought you could get away with tying a regular rope type knot in it. That would have saved me a couple of bucks on the clamps though.

And that is a good idea taking it to a cycle shop to make up a new one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:13 am