VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
jkr
RodStRace
dodge man
dix
rigatoni
9 posters

Bump steer? Stability issues

rigatoni
    rigatoni

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2011-03-09

Bump steer? Stability issues Empty Bump steer? Stability issues

Post by rigatoni Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:11 am

Hey guys, got a 68 a-108, and been having some real problems with the stability of the van while driving. The van tracks pretty straight if I take my hands off the steering wheel, however if I hit a bump the wheels shift drastically to the side and I have to quickly straighten it out. Also, I constantly have to point it straight by turning left to right on the steering wheel, seems like its really sensitive. On top of all this, at slow or no speed, the steering wheel is very stiff to turn.
    I was thinking maybe ball joints? I just want to hear from other A guys to see what's common and what you guys have experienced.
    Any help you guys could throw my way would be so appreciative!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Bump steer? Stability issues Empty Re: Bump steer? Stability issues

Post by dix Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:53 am

the van does not have power steering so turning is not what you are use to. as far as play in the steering wheel have some one in the seat with the engine off turn the wheel left and right only showing the play in the wheel . Climb under and see what is moving. or take it to a allignment shop you trust, let us know how it goes...

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:13 am

if you adjusted the steering gear box to tight it would do the same thing, if not like dix says check all your front end parts,
    rigatoni
    rigatoni

Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2011-03-09

Post by rigatoni Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:31 am

dix wrote:the van does not have power steering so turning is not what you are use to. as far as play in the steering wheel have some one in the seat with the engine off turn the wheel left and right only showing the play in the wheel . Climb under and see what is moving. or take it to a allignment shop you trust, let us know how it goes...
    Yeah there is no play in the steering wheel, the turning is very responsive, but every little bump shifts the wheels, that's why I have to constantly turn left to right, just to keep it straight. Thanks for the help, I'll see what it's like underneath
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:22 am

No ball joints, kingpins!
    Check the kingpins, tie rod, drag link and steering box.
    If all are serviceable, check alignment.
    From the sound of it, I'd guess KP or DL...

Stiff at low/no speed is often due to big tires and offset wheels, which your avatar shows...
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:59 am

now jump all over me if you wish boys and girls but,.............. these vehicles are OLD and the TECHNOLOGY is archaic to say the least. being able to drive 60 mph with one finger on the wheel and texting at the same time was never designed into these vehicles. now i'm not saying your doing that but i have been been under these old vehicles since the 70's and what you described is reasonably normal for what we drive with the mileage thats on them. pulling to the left or right while driving or braking was a no cost option installed into all of these vans and pickups.
    what we have to remember is to drive these vehicles to what was avaliable at the time for roads, and installed systems, brakes, steering, engines, ect. now add tires into the mix, or obtain a set of bias ply on your rig and drive it 60 mph. my old truck is good to drive but could use a king pin set and it will get them soon but i will never fall asleep at the wheel driving and always have to remember what way it pulled during the last brake application, cause it's a dodge and the 4 wheel drum brakes usually go the opposite way from the last brake pedal application. these old things make any drive look like the person at the wheel just spent 16 hours in a bar drinking beer but we just need to slow down and enjoy the ride. not many left and we don't know how long it will last. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL....
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729

Post by dix Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 am

Jkr. i could not have said it better. if you are not in your 50's then you never took your driving test in any of these. ps. i took my test in a 67 chevy van.6 clynder.

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 am

I actially honestly did get pulled over for suspicion of DUI when I was 20 driving my last one. I was able to prove the steering was wacky and he gave me a warning. "I cant drink officer, Im only 20!" That scored some points too. Smile

Back to the question, If I remember right if the caster off just right it will do that. I drove a 79 camaro that sounded like exactly what he's talking about, except worse. Take it to a shop and get the inspection. they'll tell you everything wrong with the suspension. you dont have to fix it with them, but its good to get a professionals opinion of what needs to be fixed.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Rigatoni, If everything you can see checks out okay, it still may be the steering box. There are alot more parts in there that you can not adjust to wear out and may not show in a static test. Actually everything from the leaf spring bushings to the tie rod/tow in can cause whats happening.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 am

Gothboy wrote:I actially honestly did get pulled over for suspicion of DUI when I was 20 driving my last one. I was able to prove the steering was wacky and he gave me a warning. "I cant drink officer, Im only 20!" That scored some points too. Smile

Back to the question, If I remember right if the caster off just right it will do that. I drove a 79 camaro that sounded like exactly what he's talking about, except worse. Take it to a shop and get the inspection. they'll tell you everything wrong with the suspension. you dont have to fix it with them, but its good to get a professionals opinion of what needs to be fixed.

Definately needs to go to a good suspension shop anyway but I suspect caster as well as overall front end slop.

I had a '72 CJ5 that you had to drive with both hands on the wheel, it ran after ruts in the road like a rabbit, I never could get it fixed. My '65 van tracks straight other than pulling right a little if you hit the brakes hard. I think rebuilding the front wheel cylinders will fix that though.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:08 pm

Heres the fix- believe me -it works - If everything isnt worn & checks out =You need to install a steering stabilizer . Its like a shock absorber that bolts from the steering rod to the axle.I build my 56 Chev pu= I beam axle factory typw some 35 years + ago -did all the suspension that could be done & had same problem.Old man that had an auto parts told me about that one - i figured hes just trying to sell me a part. Finally did it & here we are in 2013 & its still on the truck - totally eliminated all the bump steer stuff!! Do it & forget it!! Happy Vannin
    heres one at napa=
    http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NS_SA1932_0178050385

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:25 am