VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Need a chuckle? Econoline wiring story!

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Need a chuckle?  Econoline wiring story! Empty Need a chuckle? Econoline wiring story!

Post by vanny Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Back in the 80's, I was in a van club and at the time, we all began putting running lights under the vans attached to the underside of the rear axle. I don't have a lift and I'm NOT a mechanic. I decided to use a probe light to determine which wires to attach these lights to. I asked my father to put the right turn signal on and then I probed the wires to see when the light would blink,then attached the wire to that one. I had him repeat the process on the left turn signal. I found it and did the same.

Once I was done, I climbed inside and asked my father to tell me if the running light would blink when I turned on the right turn signal. He said it was working. I then tried the left turn signal and he said it wasn't working. I looked down at the dash panel and every time the left turn signal blinked, the Gas gauge needle would jump from empty to full and back again. I almost wet my pants from laughing so hard. I told my father to take a look and he busted a gut laughing as well.

Next day I called my mechanic buddy and told him what happened. He said I probably mistakenly attached the wire to the lead that goes to the gas tank because it sends an alternating current to give an accurate reading of the gas level in the tank. I took a lot of ribbing over that one. Good Times!!! lol!
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Need a chuckle?  Econoline wiring story! Empty Re: Need a chuckle? Econoline wiring story!

Post by Gothboy Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:00 pm

That made my night!!!! Very Happy
    rebar
    rebar

Number of posts : 151
    Registration date : 2012-10-31

Need a chuckle?  Econoline wiring story! Empty Re: Need a chuckle? Econoline wiring story!

Post by rebar Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:38 am

Well worth the read. Thank you Mr v.

Very Happy
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:01 am

we have all done somthing simular, what van club did you belong to back it the day.???

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:39 pm

I used to belong to 2nd Generation Truckers in North Central Mass. It was a group of vanners who branched off from Worcester County Vans. We used to attend a lot of the New England area truckins when they were popular. Over the years the number of truckins dwindled down quite a bit and it became more of a family camping club. As we began to raise families and we always rented out safari areas at campgrounds so we could play volleyball and keep the kids occupied with lots of games.
    One of the best days was a VERY Rainy one and everyone was staying in there tents and vehicles and I decided to get the action going by sliding down a muddy sloped hill screaming like a banchee. Once the kids saw this, they all began following my lead. Oh the women just loved seeing their kids come up with mud all over their clothes but they got over it when they saw how much fun they were having. Heck, they even started up the blenders and made slushies for everyone. Shirley Temple slushies for the kids and Rum slushies for the adults. I really miss those days but love the memories!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:53 pm