VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
DanTheVanMan
Twinpilot001
dix
delraydoug
southern man
9 posters

Optima Batteries

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Optima Batteries Empty Optima Batteries

Post by southern man Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:39 am

I am now ready to buy two new Optima batteries (with isolater), but I'm confused as to which ones are best for my application. (I don't have any TV's but I do have a stereo with subs and separate amp. I also plan on adding an electric fan here soon.)

The red has a few more CC amps, but not much, and here in South Carolina that really isn't an issue. This is a fairly big purchase so I'd like to buy what I need, but not more. On the other hand, I don't want to scrimp and be disappointed.

Which one(s) are y'all using? Are there any other gel type batteries that I should consider?
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Optima Batteries Empty Re: Optima Batteries

Post by delraydoug Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:02 pm

im using a the yellow top optima its works great. its a deep cycle with cranking amps. plenty of reserve power for sound system and lights. but recomend two for running frige or big inverter
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:49 pm

southern man hope this helps . and let us know what you decide. http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/support/faqs/

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:52 pm

Heres a thought from my ol pilot days= the jets used the same technology then "Deep Cycle" type batterys -like the optima. I remember that those batterys hade to be "Cycled" -actually discharged the charged back up. There was a special charger then that must be used too.As in same with the optima batts- there expensive as are all gel cell type batts. Is it really worth the costs V/S a standard battery (auto)? with likely an additional newer type charger for them./ Seems we even could consider 2- group 27 deep cycle marine batterys to do the same job at a lesser costs. I know i can get some interstate brand batts at a highly discounted price. The optima stuff seems just at a high costs to me and then i always ask myself= will that actually outlast a standard battery long enough to balance the costs?? Just thinking about a purchase V/S an doggone ="Investment" Do we always need to "Invest" in something? affraid
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:04 pm

I use the "Red-Tops" in everything I own! I put a dual charging system in my 1984 Jeep CJ7 Laredo when I restored it back in 2002 and both those batteries are still going strong!

If you not going to run anything extra in you van than I'd say go RED. And if even planning at a later to add any juice suckers to your van then I'd go with the Yellow for sure.

Either way you really can't go wrong with Optima batteries. The one thing I can say about them is just this: "I've NEVER had to replace one!" Every one I've ever bought, I'm still using it! cheers

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Optima Batteries Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks guys! I've long thought I should have two, but now I'm wondering if I should just go for one for now, and see how it does. The info link was very helpful dix!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:59 pm

glad i could help...

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Post by delraydoug Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:06 pm

yes i would try one. the cost and the weight - they are heavy. they say dont let the deep cycle discharge more than 50% and regular battery more than 80% or you will hurt the battery's
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Lately, the quality of Optima batteries has been getting poor.

Here's a thread on a 4x4 forum I frequent, with responses from an Optima rep.

**WARNING**

These guys do not pull their punches.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=244797&highlight=optima
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Optima is an excellent battery. They do wear out just like any other battery. Life expectancy is about 5 years. The red top is for ulimate starting power. If you are using it in a RV capacity swhere you are running it down and then charging it up on a regular basis, I'd go for the yellow... because thats what its supposed to be for.

I've owned several optima batteries and I like them. I think they are worth the money, but they are not forever... figure on replacing about every 5 years.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 am

Read posted thread.

There have been problems since jJohnson Controls bought Optima.

I always try to find out all the good and bad on a product so I can make an informed decision.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:13 am

Heres my nickles worth on batterys- I always buy the Heaviest(weight) battery i can finf -of the size im needing. That relates to me =more lead = equals =longer life also. Thats just from experiences with many batterys . Here we acn go to a very large salvage yard & buy ant size batterys they have on the floor for sale/ Theyre very low priced too -the place also give a 6 month warranty- another or cash back in full if bad.I bought my last new battery 11 years bach & it was a walmart one very heavy one back then & is still going strong too.Its im my 1982 chev conversion van. again just pick up that battery -if its heavy =likely will last a long time - I also look at batts this way too- if i can get 2-3 years out of it i, in fair shape.I just have a problem of spending big $$ on something i can get @ lower costs . At my age -i look for a savings everywhere!!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 am

Just replaced the original batteries in both PT Cruisers. 8 years!
    Optima had a great rep until the 2000s.
    Some people still have no issues, but MANY have had issues with the batteries and the reps who warranty them.
    Here's another forum that doesn't hold back...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4568481

So I would suggest that if you plan on buying ANY battery, talk to your local seller to get the right battery for your application and make sure you can get it warrantied where you travel. A great SW US company isn't going to do much for you in the NE and vise-verse.

Odyssey batteries seem to come up often as the best in recent times.
    http://www.odysseybattery.com/locator.html
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:51 am

Deka has a good reputation.

For a sound system I would suggest golf cart batteries.
    LiveWire64
    LiveWire64

Number of posts : 244
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by LiveWire64 Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 pm

I started buying Optima batteries back in the 90's. Had 2 of them in a van, 2 in a Landcruiser, and 1 in a 4-Runner. They never lasted more than 2 years and most died before that. They would never warranty them.
    I had 3 different Optima batteries just flat out die without warning,leaving me stranded.
    I have a friend using the Yellow tops. They suck too. Put your money into a different battery!
    Optima Batteries Misc316-vi

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:06 pm