VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Rear wheel studs

O.H.surfboards
    O.H.surfboards

Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

Rear wheel studs Empty Rear wheel studs

Post by O.H.surfboards Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 pm

I just changed out my fronts and am stuck on how to get there rear hub off, looks like I need to loosen the middle section but didn't want to bang on it till I new for sure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Brent
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Rear wheel studs Empty Re: Rear wheel studs

Post by dix Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:52 pm

are you trying to remove the rear axle?? if you only want the studs out you do have to beat them out. but i hate to use the word beat.. run a lug nut about 3/4 of the way on the nut and hit the nut once it's free unscrew the nut. but don't pound it to hard or youcan bend the plate welded to the axle. a controled hit is about the best way to describe it

Post by O.H.surfboards Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:01 pm

No not pulling the axle just wanted to change the studs cause 3 were so stripped that they broke off. So you're saying I should just get them out while still mounted? Thought I could just do like the front ones and have the hub off to get a better hit on em.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:33 am

yes just hit them out

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:44 am

Bunch of ="Caveman" Mechanics i do believe??= affraid
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:55 am

The axles are held into the rear end with special bolts and nuts. You have to remove the nuts, then pull the axles out. The flange doesn't come off separately, like the earlier Dodges (thank goodness!).
    You have to be very careful to avoid messing up the seals in the housing when installing, and the right side has an adjustment to set end play.
    Rear wheel studs Mopp_0308_19_z+rear_gear_setup+brake_drum
    I would also suggest a 2 pound sledge and a firm, controlled whack to pop the studs out with the axle in place. You may be able to fish the studs out without removing the brake parts from the backing plate, but it's often easier to just clear the front shoe and stuff off.

It may be caveman, but unless you are going to replace/repack the bearings, change the seals and do something with the center section, it's probably better to not mess with the axles. If you do plan on the other work or just want to grease the outer bearings and are comfortable with doing the extra work, by all means go ahead.

To install, you can remove the axles and use a press to install the studs or get a nut that is larger than the stud, a washer and the correct nut.
    Put the big nut on first, then the washer, then the right nut, Tighten it so it pulls the stud in. The spacer is so you don't bottom out the nut on the serrated flange at the base of the stud as it comes through. Sometimes just a couple washers are enough.

EDIT: A bit of grease on the spacer and make sure you use the flat side of the nut, not the tapered side!
    O.H.surfboards
    O.H.surfboards

Post by O.H.surfboards Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks Rodstrace that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the explanation!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:50 am

You got it, board dude!
    Just to be clear, the outer bearings are a tapered roller bearing that has grease. They are NOT lubricated by the gear oil. There is a seal inside the housing end to keep them separate.
    There is a service interval for packing them with grease, and if yours is like a lot of our ol' vans, it has probably been neglected. It's not a bad idea to pull the axles and pack these bearings, but this is up to you.
    There was a special tool to do this, but I couldn't find a single picture of it!
    It had a zerk fitting on one end and the other looked like a half-moon cake decorating tip that you could insert into the bearing and force grease into the bearing. Otherwise, you need one of the pin-type lube fittings to force the grease in.
    Here's an article covering a 8.75 Mopar axle with some more pics.
    http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/mopp_0404_8_3_4_rear_axle_housing_swap/viewall.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:33 am