VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
wildbillinva
westcoastvanner
Lyrad
7 posters

Pro's and Con's of Bottom pan ON or OFF?

Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Pro's and Con's  of  Bottom pan ON or OFF? Empty Pro's and Con's of Bottom pan ON or OFF?

Post by Lyrad Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:13 pm

Howdy All,
    Im not sure of the name of the bottom sheet metal tray that bolts onto the under side of early vans or if it has a name.

Who out there know of the Pro's and con's of run the van with it ON or OFF ?

When I bought my van it didn't have one on it, but I have since found one that is in good shape, I'm not sure if I should put it on. Is thier a good purpose for them? Air Flow, looks, protection, extra weight, tool catcher.....WHY?
    westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Pro's and Con's  of  Bottom pan ON or OFF? Empty Re: Pro's and Con's of Bottom pan ON or OFF?

Post by westcoastvanner Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 pm

It's called a belly pan and it is designed to force the air, through the radiator to keep the engine running cool.
    wildbillinva

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-02-26

Pro's and Con's  of  Bottom pan ON or OFF? Empty Re: Pro's and Con's of Bottom pan ON or OFF?

Post by wildbillinva Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:39 am

also offers some radiator protection from road debris.
    wildbillinva
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:25 am

My vote is mostly radiator protection. Most of us are fair weather drivers. If you have ever put one of these in a snowbank without the pan you end up with an iceblock in the doghouse.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:09 am

I bow to Occam's razor on this one.
    If the factory spent the time and money to design, manufacture, and install these, that is a good reason to reinstall one.
    The only time I drove one without a belly pan for a long distance, the engine holed a piston. Was that the cause? Probably not. The engine was tired, the day was hot and it was the first time I'd driven it long distance on the freeway. I won't do back-to-back testing to prove it.
    Unless you are in the middle of a project that requires it's removal, why not install it and keep the airflow up and debris out?
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:39 am

I don't have one onmy 65, Based on my aerodynamics education I think they are designed wrong as far as airflow goes. They probobly will protect the rad somewhat.

I havn't seen any difference in cooling on or off except they are very in the way when it comes to working on my van.

M1D
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:38 pm

I am thinking along the same lines as M1D. This is my third early, my 65 had the gut pan on it but I took it off to work on the rad and it never went back on. My 68 never did have it when I bought it, so I'm thinking some one did the same thing I did on the 65......So on the fence I sit....ON or OFF.

Is the belly pan on your Van, do you like the complete orginal stock look or What Ever?

Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:45 pm

I have a v8 and the belly pan keeps IN to much heat in the summer. Running without I get a lot more dirt and dust on the motor / dog house. I have put it back on now that the summer is over and so far no heat problem and a much cleaner engine.
    I would say in you are running a 6 you should have it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:23 pm