VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
scarlin
itruns
bensbus
7 posters

You tow what with your vintage van?!?

bensbus
    bensbus

Number of posts : 171
    Registration date : 2012-09-23

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Empty You tow what with your vintage van?!?

Post by bensbus Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Inspired by my own van and trailer towing adventures and pictures posted by the likes of EconoCarl and CorvanMan, I thought I would start this fun post. What do you/have you towed with your vintage van?

I have towed a variety of utility trailers, vintage boat trailers, and campers with my van and truck. I do not have pictures of everything- but here is a sampling. More to come...

1962 Corvair Greenbrier with Reese Backpacker trailer in dirt-moving and camping mode:

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Brier-12

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Brier-13

1961 Corvair Rampside (before paint and bodywork) towing the in-laws' 1987 13' Serro Scotty camper:

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Red-ra10

Greenbrier and Rampside towing our 1961 13' Serro Scotty camper:

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Van-an12

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Rampsi10

Rampside towing the 1964 Airstream Bambi II (not far-only up the driveway...):

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Ramp-a14

So- what do YOU tow with your vintage van?

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Empty Re: You tow what with your vintage van?!?

Post by itruns Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 pm

I actually put tiny 7" electric drum brakes on the trailer. Really need to upgrade to discs on the '66 A100.
    Interesting after the trip, I drove the unloaded van out of the driveway and underestimated how much power the 318 put out. Maybe some carbon got blown out?

You tow what with your vintage van?!? 2012-011
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Empty Re: You tow what with your vintage van?!?

Post by scarlin Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:41 pm

I would not recommend this for a corvan
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Here we are returning from the Mid-South Econoline Meet in Arkansas this year, right at 1000 miles round trip.

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:00 pm

If I own it and it can be towed. At least one of my vans has pulled it!

You tow what with your vintage van?!? 1966_c13

You tow what with your vintage van?!? 1966_c14

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Van-ca10

Heck, I've even pulled my 66 panel with my 65 Sportvan!!!
    You tow what with your vintage van?!? 1966_c15

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    bensbus
    bensbus

Post by bensbus Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Here is another one of the Greenbrier with a 1962 Serro Scotty under reconstruction. This trailer went to my buddy once I had it completed:

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Brier-14

bensbus
    bensbus

Post by bensbus Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:36 pm

[quote="DanTheVanMan"]If I own it and it can be towed. At least one of my vans has pulled it!

Dan-

What kind of trailer is this? U-Hail? Casita? Burro? I love the old fiberglass egg trailers. Parents-in-law almost bought a Boler one time.

Ben

bensbus
    bensbus

Post by bensbus Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:37 pm

EconoCarl-

What make is your trailer? Looks European to me...saw one at a campout one time shaped kind of like yours.

You tow what with your vintage van?!? 2012-011[/quote]
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:55 pm

[quote="bensbus"]
    DanTheVanMan wrote:If I own it and it can be towed. At least one of my vans has pulled it!

Dan-

What kind of trailer is this? U-Hail? Casita? Burro? I love the old fiberglass egg trailers. Parents-in-law almost bought a Boler one time.

Ben

Ben, It's a 1972 Cloud. The mold were bought a few years later by Burro. I found it on Craigslist for $1300. Invested about $200 to make it safe and sold it six months later for $2800. Been kicking myself ever since! Really should have kept it!!!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    bensbus
    bensbus

Post by bensbus Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:32 pm

[quote="DanTheVanMan"]
    bensbus wrote:
    DanTheVanMan wrote:If I own it and it can be towed. At least one of my vans has pulled it!

Ben, It's a 1972 Cloud. The mold were bought a few years later by Burro. I found it on Craigslist for $1300. Invested about $200 to make it safe and sold it six months later for $2800. Been kicking myself ever since! Really should have kept it!!!

Dan

It is a sweet trailer, Dan. I bet it was good and light- and watertight for camping. I have sold things I later regretted. The Greenbrier was my first car- and so I won't sell it even though we sometimes have a love-hate relationship!
    bensbus
    bensbus

Post by bensbus Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:10 am

itruns wrote:I actually put tiny 7" electric drum brakes on the trailer. Really need to upgrade to discs on the '66 A100.
    Interesting after the trip, I drove the unloaded van out of the driveway and underestimated how much power the 318 put out. Maybe some carbon got blown out?

Really sweet rig! I wish I had 318 power. Corvairs are not known for that! Towing is a good way to blow the motors out.

Dad used to tow pop up trailers with his '66 and '69 Chevy vans and then upgraded to a 24' Airstream which he towed for years with the '69 camper van. I would love to see pictures of that rig! Unfortunately, they were not big into pictures back then.
    bensbus
    bensbus

Post by bensbus Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:11 am

scarlin wrote:I would not recommend this for a corvan

No- I wouldn't either! I am actually considering putting in some form of water cooled motor in the Corvair van- with much more power- so I can tow bigger trailers. All in the pipeline right now, but it could happen!

Sweet rig! Ben
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:52 pm

bensbus wrote:EconoCarl-

What make is your trailer? Looks European to me...saw one at a campout one time shaped kind of like yours.
    It's a 1964 Mobile Scout, manufactured in Arlington Texas.
    The inside is very similar to a Shasta.
    Best $300 we've spent! Twisted Evil
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Carl’s canned ham has been an inspiration for us. but I don’t think I’ll be able to find a ham in that same price range. been looking at vintage shastas. we are thinking a few years down the road.

bensbus
    bensbus

Post by bensbus Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:31 pm

[/quote]
    It's a 1964 Mobile Scout, manufactured in Arlington Texas.
    The inside is very similar to a Shasta.
    Best $300 we've spent! Twisted Evil [/quote]

THAT PRICE IS RIGHT! I, too, have gotten some good deals on small, vintage trailers. This one (a fiberglass 1973 Compact Jr.- about 800 lbs!) was found at a yard sale at a local upscale cottage town. Price- Free:

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Compac10

This one, a 1962 Serro Scotty, was bought for $100 as a unique puzzle. The owner was being transferred to Alaska and needed to get rid of it. He had begun reconstruction, although quite blindly and a lot of things were not done correctly. I spent an entire Summer fitting all the pieces together, correcting the mistakes, and eventually sold the camper to my buddy Rob:

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Curb-s10

Both looked great being towed by the Corvairs...

Ben

Corvanman

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2010-03-06

Post by Corvanman Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Think these are all posted on here else where but Ill post em here also.

'60s Heilite single wheel tent trailer

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Yaktentonvan

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Vanwithtentandyak

'57 Sears Allstate single wheel trailer. I started stripping it and treating the rust, havent gotten much further, gotta get to that. lol Thats not rust on it in the pic, its the residue from the phosphuric acid.

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Vandowntown

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Vandowntown2

Also have a '67 Apache pop up. I towed it around the block, but it realy is to much for a Corvair to be pulling.

You tow what with your vintage van?!? Vanandpopup3

Got a vintage two wheel Allstate also, trying to sell it before winter comes, but havent realy towed it with the van, dont realy want to, it needs to find a new home. Someone come give it a new home.

You tow what with your vintage van?!? 0914121811

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 am