VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
white-lightning
Magic Bus
blackace
7 posters

General costs for a decent restoration

blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

General costs for a decent restoration Empty General costs for a decent restoration

Post by blackace Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Shocked I have talked to a few different shops on getting the body work down on my truck and having it shot was some new paint. They pretty much have all said that I am looking at 15K and up to do this body work. Is this what any of you have looked at or paid to get your vehicle redone.

I am not looking for it to be frame-off restoration, but a decent body, replacing the rusty parts with patch pannels and straightening the other areas. The bed will be rino-lined so not alot has to be done to it.

I am not a body man but sure did not figure on paying 15 to 20K to get the body done. Anyone have any thoughts on if this sounds right or seems high.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

General costs for a decent restoration Empty Re: General costs for a decent restoration

Post by Magic Bus Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 pm

My 61 econo truck has a few rust holes and a couple of minor scrapes.. still has original paint..I had two different bids between 4 and 4500 to sand, repair and repaint inside and out....Im in the midwest and these were two independent shops with low overhead and family employees.
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

General costs for a decent restoration Empty Re: General costs for a decent restoration

Post by white-lightning Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

I go to church with a man that does restorations and body work. We had him fix a car of ours after a hit&run and he was able to fix several other areas in addition to the h&r damage for the same price due to low overhead. If you can find someone like that, it may take awhile to get done, but it will be done right for less than a large shop.
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:30 pm

One of the guys that I spoke with works for a collision repair shop but does work on the side. He use to have a 66 econline and seems to be looking to get another early of some sort. He was one that said it would be that high. I even offered to do some of the work with lots of instructions. Wish someone on here that is good with bodywork lived closer. I will keep looking to see what I can find.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:32 am

its pretty cheap if you do it yourself, ask a pro for the hard parts, learning is money, i'm happy with what i did, a friend of mine paid 5K$ for a shitty paint job, so i did mine myself (body and paint) if i had to do shit it wont cost me 5K$, well it turned out very nice, some dont believe me, cost me 800$(paint only) for a better job(also i get to keep the tools)...my two cents...good luck....corrosive
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 am

The 10-15K is the great sobering effect.
    Here is my suggestion for you to understand what a full body/paint is going to cost. Figure what it would take to remove every trim piece. Probably at least 2-4 hours. Are you going to remove the glass and replace the seals? Add another couple hours. Remember to double the time because there is installation on fresh paint.
    Walk around the entire vehicle slowly. With a pencil, circle every spot that needs work. Go around again. Now open the doors and tailgate and check the hinges and the jambs. More circles. Feel each corner and the front and rear pans. Again circle each spot that needs work.
    Figure on an hour or 2 per 8" circle. That's grinding it down, doing any metal work, skim of filler, prime. On my van, it ended up being averaging about 8 hours a panel. Add it all up. Don't forget that the shop does not know what's under that top coat, so they may want to sand or strip the whole thing down, which will almost always find new things to fix. It's also many hours, depending on what's on it.

Now add a full masking and prime. Figure 4 hours. Then a full blocking. Probably a couple days if they are on it (16 hours). At this point, it's going to be a lot better, but the shop and you will see more stuff that needs to be fixed to really make it right. This means another round of priming and blocking at least, it will probably need some more filler. Add another 8 hours for the filler and the 4 hours for priming and the 16 hours for blocking.
    Now it's ready for paint. A full cleaning, mask and shooting. Will the jambs be done? More of the same.
    This is all with NO rust or past damage cutout and weld in, no big panel adjustments, and no hinge or modification repairs.
    For a pro shop, they are not going to use cheap paint after all this labor. Figure at least 1-2K in materials, including the sandpaper, filer, primer and paint.

So now it's all shiny. Remember the strip down times? Time to put it back together, hopefully with new seals.

Any shop that does this kind of work knows there are hidden problems on every car and boost the basic quote so that you don't get a huge shock half way in.
    Another thing to really consider is the type of shop and their reputation.
    A typical 'production' shop that handles most or all late-model insurance jobs does not want your full resto.
    To use an analogy, they would rather read 50 paperbacks than your encyclopedia. Easier to deal with, takes less time and pays easier.
    So that leaves the real restoration shops or the 'on the side' guys. There are a lot of 'paint jail' horror stories. Research the candidates carefully, including if the same people are working there. Unless you have fresh chrome, seals, upholstery and trim, you probably aren't really ready to drop off your van right now. Follow the shop and see how well they meet deadlines, quotes, and the type of work they turn out. This is more important than price!
    If your van ends up getting part way done and stalling, you will have to fight to get it back, lose most or all of the money already paid and then try to find another shop to take over. Good Luck with that!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:56 am

Heres some other ways / suggestions. Ive never been able to go to any paint & body shop-comercial one!! & get any reasonable bids. Labor ,time & materials always given as larger so they make the big bucks. Ive always foung these ways -if I couldnt attempt or do myself. Try the following- ads in craigs list - under auto parts & do a wanted - body & paint man -home shop needed. Also- try & locate a high school that has a paint & body class - speak to the actual teacher - tell him what you are needing. see what happens -if he cant do -asl for advice who can ? does @ home ?/ never know. Ask @ the local pubs> if u go there? also friends that you know and may know someone that does it @ home or very reasonable.Always remember this- there is always someone needing the work & $$ - the high dollar shops will always sell u a bill of Goods & then do as cheaply as can be done . Been my experiences & i did own a body & paint shop - yet wasnt my main stay in buisness or making $$. Yes we acn also buy the paints & materials ourselves & have someone do the work too. Im not knocking anyone in the actual paint buisness - ive just learned there are other ways to accomplish the same things -without throwing wheelbarrows of cash away. Ive always had to!! Happy vannin

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:07 pm

i forgot to mention youtube, there's so much on that matter, you have the choice of teachers, when buying tools(choosing the right one), and you could practice on your wife's car( affraid !!!)...when practicing for painting, i hag some sheet metal that i've prepared exactly like the panels of my van.
    being rich i would ask a pro, but i'm not, and i'm using it everyday with dirts, gravel,someday it will need to be done again, and i will know how to do it, i'd rather buy land for 15k$.....good luck..corrosive
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:49 pm

I agree with every thing above, If i can save 10 to 15 k by learning and buying some tools then i'm going to go that route. Are you good with your hands ?? 1st you can't get overwelmed. for 15 k my guess was a complete paint strip a company in ohio sells panels. surplus supply. as well rod went to a comunity college and learned how to do the work. that way you can work on it there and get some giudance. read up on the computer and youtube. lots of great help there. Al so if you are not going to do any of this find a 2 man type shop.

Post by blackace Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks guys for the great advice. I have been seriously been thinking of trying to do this on my own. affraid My biggest issues that I see so far is:
    - I don't have anything that would relate to car restoration tools. Would have to purchase everything. all all wood working, not metal.
    - I only have a 2 car garage with wifes car in it for winter. So space is going to be very limited to be cutting body pannels off and re-welding and sanding on it, let alone painting. One option is to use my companies electrostatic paint system. Will get to test it with engin cover parts.
    - Knowledge. I have no knowlege or experience with metal work. I know this one can be learned and there are lots of tools to allow for this to be done. I just am worried that the truck will end up looking like a amature attempted it and failed really bad.

I am going to check a local vocation school that does have a body school area. One to see if they are interested in doing the body, and if not, study then going back to school for it and see what I can pick up by doing something on another vehicle before I hit mine.

Again thank for the advice. I am sure I will be asking alot more in the future.
    Also Rod, Seats are being recovered this fall, I have gotten new insulation for engine cover and new seals for it. Plan on taking it out of truck and redoing it after painting it a matt black. Have not purchased but plan on all new seals and whiskers for all windows, just had not done it yet. waiting for closer to to getting body done.
    blackace
    blackace

Post by blackace Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 am

I am going to try and get some close up shots of the various areas that need work and a list of items that I know need fixed. Just to start documenting it. Will probalby start it in the between the seats area so it is a running project on the truck
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:02 am

As far as the body work, maybe you can find a good welder to do the welding in of the panels needed, then you can finish them with a shim coat of body filler.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 am

If where u work ?=has an electrostatic system - ask the painter guys if they would be able to assist?? Might have some friends that can weld & sort of do a group of friends repairs to help- many will do that now days . Someone may even have a heater building ?? never know till u ask-beers & bbq ?? who knows??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:19 pm