VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Gas vent tube location

Drew Peacock
    Drew Peacock

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-08-21

Gas vent tube location Empty Gas vent tube location

Post by Drew Peacock Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:17 am

Just a quick question regarding the vent tube on the top of 1967 gas tank. I believe mine either fell off or more likely just rotted out from old age. I smell gas in the van after a top off and there is a small drop trial of gas after i drive off that last for a little while and until the gas level decreases. If I am looking at the back of the van, which side is it on/what is its location. Do I have to completely drop the tank to get a new tube back on? Is there any thing I need to know about installing a new one as it regards to routing or material type? Thank you
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Gas vent tube location Empty Re: Gas vent tube location

Post by austinmodhouse Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:36 am

Drew, if I recall correctly, you do need to drop the tank to get to the vent hose. it’s right in the middle of the top. and again trying to make my memory work… I recall my local supply store did not have the exact size fuel hose for that vent, but they did have one I was able to make work (a lot of stretching and pushing and lube, quit laughing)

now I found that the hose was routed up into that rear corner box just under the tail light…. seems crazy to me but I guess the idea is to get it up as high as possible from the tank.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:39 am

Hi Drew

What I did. Drop the tank and take the hose off. Its attached to the top of the tank and routed through holes in the frame so this is the only way to get to it.

Once I removed the hose I took a section of it with me to the auto parts store and we matched it as close as we could get it. I bought 6ft so I can cut to length and re-routed it the same way I took it off.

It was a easy process and removing the gas tank will also let you see what condition it is in. They are know to rust and leak...

Good Luck
    bubbafrye
    bubbafrye

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2011-11-05

Post by bubbafrye Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:54 am

In my '67 there is a hose that loops up inside the cabin just under the driver's tail light.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:33 am

bubbafrye wrote:In my '67 there is a hose that loops up inside the cabin just under the driver's tail light.

That is correct, it is attached to the top of the gas tank. My 64 is the same way

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:35 pm