VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
jrinaman
gkpost
6 posters

leaf springs ?

gkpost
    gkpost

Number of posts : 224
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

leaf springs ? Empty leaf springs ?

Post by gkpost Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:38 pm

So I took my van all apart. I thought I labeled everything really good. I sent the springs out had the rears rearched. Now I'm trying to put the rear end back and the spring shop made one of two mistakes,either they put the pressed in groomets on the wrong end of the spring or they rearched the front instead of the rear. HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERENTS BETWEEN THE FRONT AND REAR SPRINGS ??? On one set there is a bigger collar on one end, is this the front or the rear ? Thanks for any help.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

leaf springs ? Empty Re: leaf springs ?

Post by jrinaman Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:28 pm

On one set there is a bigger collar on one end, is this the front or the rear ? Thanks for any help. [/quote] i have heard several people comment on fronts having 2 different sizes.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:32 pm

look at the center pin holes in the spring,,,,,they aint in the center,,,,,,the longer side of the spring from there goes towards the bumpers,,,,
    gkpost
    gkpost

Post by gkpost Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:46 pm

I think the spring shop rearched the fronts instead of the rears. Fortunetly I didn't do such a great job wire brushing the springs before I painted them and once I stoped being so pissed off, and took another look. I could see the difference in the u-bolt marks. so I have to say the bigger collar set of springs is the rear. If anyone has different info let's hear it. But I think right! Thanks to all GK
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:57 pm

The collars go in the perches,,,,the cartridges go in the perches,,,,,the collars on the rear springs are the short sides,,,,the collars on the front springs are the long sides,,,,,,measure the distance from the center bolt to each end of the spring,,,,,,there is a short side and a long side,,,,,,
    CraigK
    CraigK

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by CraigK Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Donivan
    I think you are trying to explain which end of the spring goes front to rear when installing on the axle but I get the feeling that GK is trying to figure out which set of springs is for the front axle and which set goes to the rear. Maybe I am reading it wrong
    Craig
    gkpost
    gkpost

Post by gkpost Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm trying to figure out which set is front springs and what set is rear springs.There is a difference one set has a bigger collar on one end.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Went out and looked at mine (2nd gen)the front springs have the same size loops.... and the rear has the one larger loop that goes toward the front(not the shackle side)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:43 pm

I am saying the springs go on 180 degrees different,,,,,,on a 1st Gen, there is a 22 inch end and a 26 inch end,,,,(the drive shaft wants the 22 inch end,,,,,the front bumper wants the 26 inch end),,,,so you need to identify each end and THEN see if they put the bushings in the right end,,,,,the front spring is 26 inches,,,if you put it on the rear,,,you will find your driveshaft is 4 inches too short,,,,so 1st sort out what you got,,,,,see if they just grabbed another leaf or put the bushing in the correct side,,,,,,the front and back springs are not the same ,,,,they go on a certain way and the bushings go on a certain end,,,,,just see if they did not mix everything up
    gkpost
    gkpost

Post by gkpost Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:38 am

Thanks for all the help. I had the direction of the srings right. I couldn't figure which set were front or rear. I had the shop press in bushings on all 4 springs and rearch the rears. They rearched the fronts and that's where I got confused. So now my van will be 1 inch taller in the front for a while. I just want it on the road, So to keep things straight, The set with the bigger collars are the rear and the big collars go forward of the axel.
    teamthunder7
    teamthunder7

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2012-02-17

Post by teamthunder7 Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:06 am

Go to detroit springs I just wanted to add that you stated that you painted your springs.You really should never paint your springs as this will weaken them over a period of time.If you find this crazy call detroit spring and they will tell ya.Just like oil will do the same thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 pm